× Members

PIP and Autism

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287620 by benm10
PIP and Autism was created by benm10
Hello,

I going to keep this as short as possible. I have been looking through this form and all of the experiences people have had to battle for PIP, which a lot of the time they very desperately need. I have recently got a diagnosis for Autism, I have a history of depression and anxiety.

I have been looking at the stories and seeing how people have supported their claim, but I would like to mainly focus on Autism and how that presents itself in my life.

Does anybody who has been successful or even has been less successful when claiming with a specific focus on Autism have any advice. As currently, I do have my psychiatrist reports ect, but nothing clear from a HCP that will demonstrate my struggles.

Any advice, thoughts or guidance is really appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287636 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP and Autism
Hi benm10

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

Autism is not a single disorder, but a spectrum of closely related disorders with a shared core of symptoms. Every individual on the autism spectrum has problems to some degree with social interaction, empathy, communication, and flexible behaviour. The level of disability and the combination of symptoms varies tremendously from person to person.

Have you tried the NAS web site www.autism.org.uk there is lots of information on the web site.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/autism/support/

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, benm10

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287655 by Donna2512
Replied by Donna2512 on topic PIP and Autism
Hello benm10, I have claimed for my son and daughter who are both autistic and have had completely different experiences each time. For my son we ended up at Tribunal after getting no award and for my daughter they made a decision on the papers. For me it depends on who is looking at the claims and how much knowledge they hold. Son was assessed by a physio and daughter's claim was seen by a LD nurse. On paper son is more severely autistic than daughter but physio appeared to have no understanding of autism whereas LD nurse appeared to have insight. Good luck with your claim,the guides on here are really helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS, Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, benm10

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287679 by benm10
Replied by benm10 on topic PIP and Autism
Hi Donna2512,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I have been reading the guides, and they are helpful in understanding. I have a twin sister who gets ER across both, her claim was done on the forms only but she does have multiple conditions so I suspect it might be more difficult for me to get a claim with forms only.

From your experiences what would be best to focus on when completing forms? Such as evidence ect?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.