× Members

Hi: Universal credit uc50 50m rule

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287622 by zak
Hi,

I have an inginual hernia which means I can't reliably walk more then 50m without both pain and the possibility of making it worse.

On a quick first investigation on the Uc50 form it appears that you get 15 points and go straight into lcwra if this is the case i.e. you cant walk more than 50m

I have a letter from the doctor as evidence of this

I'm sure it can't be as simple as that though?

Would appreciate some insight from people who know a lot more than me

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287623 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Hi: Universal credit uc50 50m rule
Hi Zak

It is never that easy, there are two tests that you have to pass to be placed in the LCWRA group.

In the first test, you have to reach 15 points or more.

in the second test you have to fit in one of their descriptors, from your description I would place you in 1 (a) or 1 (b)
Mobilising unaided
cannot either;
A) mobilise more than 50 meters on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or

B) repeatedly mobilise 50 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion.

It is not that easy, as DWP are looking to remove WCA. Keep an eye out for details in B&W newsletter.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287632 by zak
Replied by zak on topic Hi: Universal credit uc50 50m rule
Hi Gary :)

Thanks for that.

Yeah I would fit in both of those.

How will they assess people if theres no work capability assessment?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287634 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Hi: Universal credit uc50 50m rule
Hi Zak

You ask a good question, 🤔

I was at a meeting with DWP today, PIP was mentioned, they are still working on it. 🫣

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287639 by zak
Replied by zak on topic Hi: Universal credit uc50 50m rule
Ok thanks,

Also, just looking at it from a hernia point of view for the sake of argument - say it is assessed im not fit for work with the hernia, is it unlikely I will go into lcwra anyway as I am fit to look for work, so then would go into the lcw group.

(There are other reasoms im not fit to look for work but thats another story 😔 Im just trying to figure out the logic of it all atm)

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287648 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Hi: Universal credit uc50 50m rule
z

Either;

- you don't meet the criteria for an award

- you score 15 points or more and receive an award of Limited Capability for Work. You will not be required to seek work but can be asked to undertake Work Related Activity, there is a list of the tasks in our UC/ESA Claim guide.

- you meet one or more of the Limited Capability for Work Related Activities in which case you will not be asked to seek work or to carry out WRA .

The DWP has no discretion to change the award you receive just because you have the capability to seek work.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.