× Members

Moving to UC/support group New Style ESA and permitted work

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287710 by Agis
Hey Gordon,

It's not very clear to me. I feel being allowed to do 16 hours work on ESA (even when in support group) is very clear and they don't take away your support group. So why wouldn't I be allowed to do the same on UC credit without the risk of support group being taken. Can I please have a clearer answer. Is it allowed or not? It says that permitted work is not part of universal credit. That's why my question. I would like to know before I move to the Universal Credit area. Its also good for your mental health if you are allowed some work. That's why I'm asking for straight forward answer. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287712 by Gordon
A

Forgive me but I am not sure how to make it clearer having said "yes" twice already but to have another go.

Yes, you can work whilst receiving a UC LCW award or LCWRA award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287717 by adam33
sounds a little different to what I'd understood when I read this, so someone in LCW or LCWRA can earn more than 16x hourly minimum wage a week if not on PIP once the assessment stage has ended? or was that only LCWRA? a welfare rights advisor had mentioned this to me a while back as something to watch out for

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287718 by adam33
it's alright I've looked up the email "somebody who is already working more than 16 hours per week cannot usually be referred for a Work Capability Assessment but there is an exception that allows a PIP claimant to be referred, even if they are already working."

wouldn't make sense to cap amount someone in lcw could work because the more they earn the lower their UC would be

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287720 by Gary
Hi adam33

When you talk about 16 hrs, this is to do with legacy benefits. There is no 16 hr rule with UC, with UC you have an earnings taper of 55%, there is also a work allowance.

PIP has nothing to do with the calculations.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287738 by adam33
thanks, I remember reading something about a limit of 16x hourly minimum wage every week somewhere, that's maybe the limit the welfare rights advisor was talking about, must earn less than that to have a WCA unless on PIP

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.