× Members

query re ESA Contributions based, moving to UC

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287756 by Lyndsay
HI,
i have been on ESA contributions based, (in the support group for many years). I also claim the Adult Disability payment as im in Scotland.

I have been told to move onto Universal credit. I claim Child Tax Credits, and my husband claims Working Tax Credits. Im totally confused as what happens regarding my ESA with regards to UC.

Do i have to start a new claim for ESA (ive heard of this New ESA, but i dont really know what its about).

Do i need to have a new physical assessment for ESA?

Im utterly confused re the ESA contributions based/support group bit. Can anyone clarify what i have to do? Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287771 by Gary
Hi Lyndsay

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

What is happening is that tax credits are going (working + child), claimants are being asked to apply for UC once they get the letter from DWP inviting them to apply for UC, not the letter from IR informing you that your tax credit is stopping.

Your ESA will stay in payment, the amount you get for ESA will be deducted from your UC £ for £. One of the advantages for staying on ESA is that you get paid every two weeks whereas UC is paid monthly.

You should be placed in the LCWRA group when you apply, remember DWP can re-assess you at anytime.

I would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk , they will be able to give you accurate advice taking all your circumstances into consideration.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #287786 by Lyndsay
Hello, Many thanks for your reply. I'm a bit confused. Can i ask, If my ESA i receive each month is deducted from the UC, does that mean i will be, for example, if i was getting say £450 each month for ESA contributions based, that i will £450 per month worse off on UC than i am now?

Will i have to reapply for my ESA when putting in the UC claim?

Kind regards.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287803 by Gordon
L

No, you will not be worse off.

As a simple example; if you are entitled to £1000 UC and £450 of ESA then you will receive £550 of UC and £450 of ESA totalling £1000. If you didn't receive the ESA then you would still only receive £1000 in UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #287949 by Lyndsay
Many thanks.

Do i have to re apply for ESA (contributions) when submitting the new UC claim? Or do i just fill the UC claim in alone and carry on with the ESA i already claim, until they send for me for a new assessment? Many thanks.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287968 by Gary
Hi Lyndsay

No, you will not have to re-apply for CB ESA when you submit your UC claim, if you are in the support group then you should transfer over to LCWRA. Your CB ESA will be deducted £ for £ from your UC.

Remember ESA is paid fortnightly whereas UC is paid monthly.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lyndsay

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.