× Members

UC and work

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287783 by Evesmum
UC and work was created by Evesmum
I apologise if this post is in the wrong place, but I couldn't find an area for UC.
I am currently receiving the lower amount of PIP and UC, (Unfit for work) although I am not sure which category this falls in to. I have been offered some casual work, just a few hours a week. Please can anyone advise me, if I take this work, if the amount I earn deducted from my UC? Also how many hours am I allowed to work each week without it affecting my benefits? The job is very quiet and I feel it is something I could cope with for a couple of hours on some days short term. Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287801 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic UC and work
E

Your UC claim should have an Earnings Allowance, below this, there will be no deductions from your UC payments, above then there is a 55% deduction, so for every £1 you earn your UC will be reduced by 55p.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evesmum

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #287858 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic UC and work
Hi Evesham

Just to add to what Gordon has written, if you are in receipt of LCW/LCWRA and or responsible for a child/qualifying young person you will also receive a work allowance, high £631 or low £379 depending if you claim HCE or not.

Work allowance if eligible, is deducted before the Earnings taper 55%.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Gary.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287875 by adam33
Replied by adam33 on topic UC and work
I think it would be worth asking the jobcentre about this before you start, someone I know told them they'd done some work after and her UC was suspended, they might decide you are fit for work

historically and on other benefits that has been a thing called "permitted work", which was the same, start work then you might get benefits suspended, if you got a letter from your GP saying you'd benefit from trying a small amount of work it'd be ok

UC is set up so people can try work but things need to be done in the right order to avoid any suspension of benefit.

this whole area might be worthy of a guide if that's something B&W would like to do, something like "how to get from classed as unable to work to trying little bits of work without getting evicted"

More
2 months 1 week ago #287906 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic UC and work
Hi adam33

Under legacy benefits you had to get permission before you started part time employment by completing a form called PW1; www.gov.uk/government/publications/emplo...itted-work-factsheet.

You would need to discuss work with your workcoach as other factors may come into play such as The ’Administrative Earnings Threshold’ (AET), but this is outside the scope of the forum.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: adam33, Evesmum

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.