× Members

PIP

More
2 months 1 week ago #287826 by rku
PIP was created by rku
For the past few years I have been suffering from Fatigue, Muscle and Joint Pain including Stiffness, Aches and Pain. Whilst suffering the past few years it's only recent I have been diagnosed with having Fibromalygia. I have always worked but due to my condition I haven't been able to sustain employment or contract of employment terminated. I currently am working but again on a contract basis and absence is expected due to my condition. Recent Occupational Assessment states I come under the Equality Act and also absence is expected. It's a long term condition with no cure.
Can someone please advise if I would be elegible for PIP ? I read so many different stories even those having Fibromalygia and not being awarded.
Financially I can see myself being crippled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287831 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP
Hi rku

There are plenty of people with fibromyalgia who receive PIP, and there are plenty of people who have the condition who have been denied an award. I can't tell you whether you would be eligible for an award because the DWP isn't interested in a claimant's condition per se - they are more interested in how a condition/s affects a person's daily living and/or mobility with regard to the specific PIP criteria. Some people take medication, some people take none, some people are in constant pain, some have intermittent pain, some suffer from cognitive dissonance, and some people do not. Some people have fibromyalgia alone, and some people have co-morbidities (two or more diseases). These are just a few things that can be different for people who have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Don't waste time trying to compare yourself to others. Your diagnosis may be new, but the condition isn't so you obviously understand a lot of what you go through. You can check one of the benefit calculators to see if you would be eligible, but I think it's better to go through our Guide to PIP claims and reviews - looking at each question and see where you think you would score. There are some great examples of how to answer each question.

One of the things that comes up regularly for people with fibromyalgia - is how much pain medication they take, whether or not they are currently driving and whether they work. If you apply, do not assume that the person reading your form will have any knowledge, experience or understanding of the fibromyalgia (or anything else). You have to spell it out to them and be very clear. If you assume that the assessor will understand, you will struggle to score - because the majority of them will have no idea. You have to be really clear and spell it out to them and answer each question as thoroughly as possible. In your case, you will have to make it clear this has gone on for a long time and your condition has deteriorated.

Come back - if you have any more questions, and we will try to answer them.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, rku

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.