× Members

DWP and access to bank accounts.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287837 by Cheryl
DWP and access to bank accounts. was created by Cheryl
Hello I am new here. Can anyone answer my question please?

There's so much being said about the DWP and them wanting to see / pry into people's bank accounts.

Have the DWP got the legal right to look and how far back into the account, a week, 6 months a year or more. Will or has the DWP be granted access to people's bank account? Or has the idea been binned.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287855 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic DWP and access to bank accounts.
Hi Cheryl

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

The answer to your question is in the latest B&W free newsletter; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/governmen...print-for-fraudsters

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #287876 by adam33
Replied by adam33 on topic DWP and access to bank accounts.
I think at the moment the DWP would first need to suspect you are commiting fraud before they can access a bank account (I think they can pretty much always just write to you and ask for statements and suspend your benefit if you don't send them).

From memory I don't think people who are claiming PIP would have things dealt with on the fraud track at present, there is another department called compliance who deal with disabled people, and I don't think there are any criminal proceedings involved, I don't know if they can apply to view your accounts etc

the new law has to get through the house of lords yet, and there will be a change of government by the end of the year, and possibly in late spring, so the new government would also have to like the idea enough to carry on with it

incidentally anyone can write to their MP and tell them you don't like this idea and think it should be binned

More
2 months 1 week ago #287898 by Jones1988
Replied by Jones1988 on topic DWP and access to bank accounts.
HMRC at present only shares limited savings and investment information with the DWP. This consists of a list of the names of banks, Building Societies etc that a claimant has an account with. That is why when you make a new claim the DWP may ask you to attend the Jobcentre with bank statements showing the level of your savings. This is for each account that appears on their list. A problem arises if an account is not revealed and your name appears on the list as a customer of that financial institution. Then you can expect your Benefit to be suspended until a statement is forthcoming or maybe a Compliance interview if a large amount of money is involved. The DWP also have other fraud prevention powers involving Court applications. I don't know how things are going to change with the new proposals.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.