× Members

ESA overpayment /occ pension / civil penalty

More
2 months 1 week ago #287845 by Neeniebaneenie
ESA overpayment /occ pension / civil penalty was created by Neeniebaneenie
Have been contacted by ESA saying I’ve been overpaid & have been given a civil penalty fine on top, of £50! Since been medically retired (over 10 years) I have received employment pension, ESA & PIP. They sent a very derogatory letter implying I’ve purposely not informed them of changes, but not saying what these were. I rang them, they said I haven’t informed them my pension has increased? I’ve never done this, as they have access to same system as HMRC so know how much I am receiving?! This is how they know it’s increased in the first place? I’m going to have to log a reconsideration. Anybody else had this experience/ got any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287861 by Gordon
N

You had/have a legal obligation to inform the DWP that you were receiving a pension and to notify them of any changes to the rates you were receiving.

There was an Upper Tier Tribunal case last week on this very subject, the claimant lost.

Gordon`

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #287866 by Mr B
Hi N

I am very sorry to hear of your predicament. It doesn't give me any pleasure to say this but its most unwise to assume that because different Goverment departments, or even different sections within a department,, may "talk" to one another that you as a claimant don't have to contact the appropriate department or section yourself to notify of a material change of circumstances..

I give a different example from yours to illustrate what can happen, This has long since been resolved but a friend of mine once made a mistake regarding how much she could earn before it affected her Carers Allowance. This went on for a couple of years but then she received a letter from the DWP along the lines of ""It has come to our notice that you have not told us of any earning over [whatever the amount was]..."and this had created an overpayment of several THOUSAND pounds which would of course have to be repaid! Now whilst I can't be sure I suspect that HMRC told DWP but don't do so on ongoing basis. My friend has lond since repaid the money in instalments. As far as I'm aware a penalty wasn't imposed in her case but I'm not sure of that. I'm not sure what a mandatory reconsideration would achieve in your case. I'm afraid that,, like my friend,,you'll have to repay the money. Y ou may be able to negotiate a manageable repayment plan with the DWP. You might be able to challenge the imposition of the civil penalty however I would not be optimistic that this would succeed.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but hope that you'll be able to sort something out re all this. Good luck!

Kind regards

Mr B

More
2 months 1 week ago #287868 by Mr B
Hi again N!

Further to my initial reply it occurred to me to check what the DWP itself says about what changes ESA claimants need to report. I too am on ESA and have been so since, if my memory serves me correctly, 2013. Whilst I haven't now got the leaflets that they put in with certain letters they send to ESA claimants for previous years I HAVE got the leaflet they sent recently with my annual ESA "uprating" letter. It is entitled "ESA Reporting changes." Under a section entitled "Changes to income and benefits" it says - amongst other things - "Tell us if you or anyone who lives with you:

starts getting, stops getting, or has a change to the amount of pensions received."

This , of course, is entirely consistent with what Gordon has said. Whilst I can't be certain, as I don't have them now, I would expect that ESA leaflets in previous years would also have this information.

Kind regards

Mr B
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neeniebaneenie

More
2 months 1 week ago #287893 by den1mon
Replied by den1mon on topic ESA overpayment /occ pension / civil penalty
You have an obligation to inform esa of any change in your private pension even though the have been informed by hmrc and quite often esa know before your pension provider inform you.
It happened to me last year.
I received a derogatory letter from them but they were informed of the change before I was.
I think it triggered them reassessing me for esa but thankfully I remained in the cb support group.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
2 months 1 week ago #287904 by Gary
Hi Mr B

The Social Security Fraud Act 2001 gave DWP powers to apply a loss of benefit penalty in the form of a fixed 13 week benefit payment disqualification period where a person is convicted of benefit fraud in two separate sets of proceedings, which have been committed within a five year period. The provision was extended in the Welfare Reform Act 2009 to include a new 4 week loss of benefit penalty for all offences of benefit fraud which result in a sanction (convictions, administrative penalties or cautions); assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/governm...penalties-policy.pdf

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr B

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.