× Members

Re PIP Renewal Questions

More
2 months 1 week ago #288024 by killbot99
Re PIP Renewal Questions was created by killbot99
Back after a 3 year hiatus, My current Pip Claim was due for renewal in October 2024, however I received a PIP text saying my claim was being renewed on 5 February and that my form should appear within 2 weeks. It did arrive, 13 days later so am currently on the phone to PIP asking for an extension. I can only assume the long delay in sending out forms is deliberate, to make it more difficult for claimants to get the form back in time?

Anyway my last claim was August 2021, but the PIP form I have received keeps saying "when we last looked at your claim in July 2018", which is obviously wrong as its was renewed in October 2021, is this an error and should I mention it to PIP or just ignore it and fill the form in anyway?

I've been fortunate enough that since switching over from DLA to PIP, apart from the first assessment being in person, I've had paper renewals, which has made life easier. Can you request this on the form or is it better just to provide as much information as possible in the hope they'll do a paper assessment?

And does anyone know how long roughly renewals taking. I waited 6 months or so last time?

And lastly I seem to keep getting 3 year awards, despite having Ehlers Danlos, a genetic condition I've had since birth, which is just throwing up more problems as I'm getting older, plus Fibromyalgia, and several others. Don't get me wrong I'm very grateful for getting PIP but I'm not going to improve.

Is there anyway I can improve the length of my award, it would be wonderful not to have to keep going through this malarkey every 2-3 years or so. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #288049 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Re PIP Renewal Questions
Hi killbot99

The slow arrival of forms is a system problem - and very annoying for claimants.

You will have to fill in the form - but I would point out the error when you send the form back - because if, for any reason, they look back at your records, you don't want them ignoring the evidence from 2021.

You can ask them to do a paper-based assessment, and you should put this request on the form. You don't want to leave it down to chance. However, be aware just because you make the request - it doesn't mean they have to agree to it. Only a small percentage of assessments are paper-based. If they refuse your request, you can always appeal and ask them to look at it again.

I can't give you an accurate time for renewals. The DWP says about 15 weeks - but plenty of people are waiting much longer than that. If they did do a paper-based assessment - the timeframe is likely to be shorter.

The length of PIP awards has been deliberately shortened, and a lot of people with lifelong conditions that are unlikely to change or improve are still being given short awards. I think the problem you have is there is a good chance that the person reading your form may not even be aware of Ehlers-Danlos, and even if they are - the NHS website talks about the different types and the slight variation in symptoms, and if they just glance at it - they could easily miss just how debilitating this condition can be. I'm not saying you haven't already done this - but you need to make it clear about the severity of your current symptoms and how you are deteriorating and then make it clear that this is not something that will ever improve. As far as the fibro is concerned, you emphasise that there is no cure and, if your symptoms have got worse - how they have got worse. Include any other medical issues and then request a longer award.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: killbot99

More
2 months 1 week ago #288066 by davidjps
Replied by davidjps on topic Re PIP Renewal Questions
Hi. My renewal took 10 weeks.

More
2 months 6 days ago #288093 by killbot99
Replied by killbot99 on topic Re PIP Renewal Questions
Thank you for your comprehensive reply, I have always resisted putting in information about my EDS as they don't want lists of symptoms or information about the disease or conditions, as obviously PIP is awarded on how it affects you, not on the basis of having the condition.

But as its rare and as you say there are many types, I think I will bite the bullet and include some pertinent facts. Mine affects my balance, my ability to move around or stand, my heart, my digestion, even my eye pupils don't react as they should. Thanks again.

Just to add I got an extension yesterday to 18th March. I took a note of the time, date and name of the person authorising the extension and also received a confirmation text today.

More
2 months 6 days ago #288100 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Re PIP Renewal Questions
Hi killbot99

I'm glad you have an extension.

I understand what you're saying about your EDS, but it's hard for an assessor to judge whether what you're saying about how it affects you is accurate if they know nothing of the condition. And if they go and look it up - they will pick and choose which bits of information they think are relevant. I think it's better that you make sure they have the information readily available that is relevant to you. I always assume the reader knows nothing, and I ensure they understand the facts from a relevant and reputable website. It doesn't have to be much - just enough to help them understand why you struggle with the items under the PIP criteria.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.