× Members

Surprised at some items on a list of 'changes you must report'

More
2 months 5 days ago #288147 by May
Hello there,

I am getting ESA and PIP. I've received a leaflet in the post from DWP, called "ESA Reporting Changes". It says, "You must report [these] changes to your circumstances so you keep getting the right amount of ESA."

I thought I knew all the changes people need to report, but some of the items on this list are a surprise to me. Are you able to explain a bit more about them to me?

They are:

---"Tell us if you, your partner, or anyone who lives with you finds or finishes a job, or starts working different hours."
I send in PW1 forms related to any changes in my work. But my partner may be, at times, freelance, and when they're freelancing they take on new contracts all the time (some might last a few days, some weeks, some months, so when they're freelancing they take on a new job - on average - once a fortnight.) Also, because of the nature of that work, their working hours would change all the time.
I didn't know this kind of change had to be reported...?
When applying for ESA, I don't think I've been asked to report anything about my partner's work.

--- "We also need to know if your houshold income goes up or down. Tell us if you or anyone who lives with : ...has a change to earnings, ...gets a different amount of benefit, ...has a change to the amount of any other money coming in (for example...grants...or money from a charity), ...gets a one-off payment such as an inheritance or a lump sum payment."
But I thought my (NI insurance contribution-based) ESA was not means-tested, so is it true that I have to report things to do with household income? When applying for, or reviewing, PIP or ESA, I've never came across any other request to state anything to do with my income. I am confused!

(Note: If anyone else on ESA is reading this, I should note here that I've just taken extracts. The actual list in my leaflet is longer.)

Thanks for your help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 5 days ago #288171 by Gordon
N

The first thing to say is that this is a generic leaflet sent to all claimants receiving ESA.

So, the first question you need to answer is whether you are legacy Income Related ESA OR legacy Contribution Based ESA or New Style ESA.

If either of the latter then only your own pension income can affect your ESA, your partner's income has no effect on the claim as it is in your name only and there is no requirement for you to notify the DWP.

However, if you are receiving the former (ESA(IR)) the the claim is in your name but it includes your household and this encompasses your partner.

Their income, assets and savings are considered to be part of the claim and will affect the amount of ESA(IR) that you are entitled to. As the deduction is £ for £ for income you must contact the DWP if there are any changes to the money they receive.

I hope this explains it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracey

More
2 months 5 days ago #288184 by May
Thank you Gordon. I am on New Style ESA, so what you say makes sense to me.

More
2 months 5 days ago #288185 by May
Hello again,

I've just realised I still have a question:

Is someone on New Style ESA expected to report if "your partner, or anyone who lives with you finds or finishes a job, or starts working different hours"?
As I said in my first message, if my partner starts freelancing, they would be changing their working hours all the time, and starting a new contract on average every 2 weeks.

Thank you.

More
2 months 4 days ago #288196 by Gordon
M

Your New Style ESA claim is in your name only and only applies to you. Your partner can start or stop work as they wish and they can do whatever work they want to.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.