× Members

Should I apply for Universal Credit? Pros and cons

More
2 months 4 days ago #288192 by zak
Hi,

Bit of background. I've had depression for 5 months, quite severe, was with local mental health crisis team for a few months, had private counselling, bereavement counselling, IAPTS cbt, and now IAPTS counselling. Starting medication. Have letters of evidence from all

(I also have an inguinual hernia where I cant walk far, though that will maybe be operated on in a fortnight, though is then likely to be 6 months before Im fully able to walk normally)

I'm currently on legacy benefits of working tax credits and housing benefit (as UC not in my area yet - had the leaflet, but not the letter of migration yet) whilst self employed

I havent yet applied for UC 'not fit for work on mental health grounds' as I wasnt able to comprehend the application procedure, it all looked terrifying in the state of mind I was in

I am a bit better now mentally so looking at the possibilty of applying

My hope is that:
- I would be put in the LCWRA group (thus getting the extra income that would really really help my mental health) on mental health grounds. My GP has said she will do everything she can to show the DWP I am but not fit for work.
- If denied this I would be allowed to carry on with my business without the Minimum income floor applied for a year. I could probably cope with this (I have a slew of evidence of how I've been running my business before I got ill. It wasn't making much money but that's because I was building it, and can show the business leads of tens of thousands of pounds I had at the time of becoming ill)

My great fear is that:
- I would both be denied both LCWRA, and not allowed to run my business and forced to look for work. I will then have been taken off a secure (for now) benefits income to being asked to do something I can't do. I see lots of stories about this on here.

I see it as a gamble that could work out good, but also backfire

Any opinions or experiences of anyone with Universal credit and depression/self employment or any points of law I need to know about would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 days ago #288195 by Gordon
zak

DO NOT APPLY FOR UC UNTIL YOU RECEIVE A MIGRATION LETTER.

If you do then you will lose the Transitional Protection that you are eligible for due to your Tax Credits claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 4 days ago #288202 by zak
Ok thanks. Ive had my uc claim calculated by citizens advice and it works out more on uc so im not too worried about that, my concern is more about what might happen as regards being forced to work

My gut feeling is actually to just stay how i am owing to the whirlwind that might be released applying for uc, but the possibility of getting awarded lcwra is appealing

More
2 months 4 days ago #288215 by Gordon
zak

Only you can decide whether to apply for UC or not and when.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.