× Members

ESA or Universal Credit?

More
2 months 1 day ago #288290 by Goose
ESA or Universal Credit? was created by Goose
My disability means every week is not the same for me, in terms of how much I can work. As such I am working freelance to allow myself some freedom and flexibility.

I currently receive ESA, Housing Benefit and PIP. I have been working part time for the past few months but my earnings have remained below the threshold of ESA £167 a week and Housing benefit 16 hours a week. However if and when I earn above the ESA threshold is there an easy way to report and not lose my ESA entirely? Or do I have to move to Universal Credit for such flexibility?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 7 hours ago #288338 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA or Universal Credit?
G

The Permitted Work limits are black and white, if you exceed the working hours of earnings limit then you lose entitlement to ESA and Housing Benefit.

You could try and negotiate with your JC+ a better interpretation of your freelance work if there are regular fluctuations which currently restrict what you can do.

Your only other option is to claim Universal Credit, this has a Housing Element and does not restrict your working hours. Do not close your ESA before making a claim, if you do then your current ESA award cannot be transferred and you will have to go through the WCA again.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.