× Members

PIP 12. Moving Around Descriptor - are orthotics and aid?

More
2 months 1 minute ago #288360 by MuttonJeff
Hello, for the mobility question on PIP, do orthotics count as an "aid" I need to move around? The hospital provided me with custom Orthotics and he told me never to wear slippers in the house, he advised rocker soled trainers but I found rocker soled recovery sandals from Hoka work for me.

The orthotics are too deep at the heel to wear in anything other than boots so I've had to buy expensive rocker soled trainers and the sandals for indoors. Do orthotics and special footwear count as "always needing anaid" for this activity, has anyone had any issues with the DWP on this count?

I'm doing a change of circumstance since a large number of new diagnoses and deterioration of health, I also use a mobility scooter now. I had 4 points previously for this activity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288384 by BIS
Hi MuttonJeff

They have been specifically made for you because of your medical condition, and I would count them as an aid. I've had a family member that had something similar and the DWP accepted them in that respect.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288391 by Gordon
MJ

Just to add, do not lose track of the fact that the primary assessment criteria is the distance you can move (walk) after standing, also, only one Descriptor considers the use of an aid, if you don't fall within the distance that this covers (20m-50m) then your use of the orthotics is moot.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.