× Members

ESA at retirement age

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288425 by otterysteve
ESA at retirement age was created by otterysteve
Hello.
I receive ESA and am in the support group. I will be 66 on my birthday in March 2025 which is my retirement age, as I was informed some years ago.
Recently I received a letter from jobcentreplus informing me of the usual yearly increase in the ESA. This is normal at about this time of year.
But the letter went on to say that from the day before my 66th birthday in 2025 I would receive ESA still but at a lower amount (about £21 a week less). The letter said “This is because of: an age change(s).”
I am confused by this as I had assumed state benefits would end at my retirement age, and I would receive old age pension instead.
Can anyone advise me on this please? Do I get ESA AND state pension? Will I still be entitled to Housing Benefit? Will I be better, or worse, off?
Who should I ask for an official statement please? I suspect it will be DWP but, as I am sure you will understand, I would prefer to ask them only as a last resort. I need to know what my income will be then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288456 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA at retirement age
Ho otterysteve

Thank you for your question, which I will try and answer.

ESA will stop the day before your birthday, on your birthday you will state pension age, to receive state pension you need to apply for it, you should be sent a letter by the pension service 3 months before your birthday with a code to enable you to apply for your state pension, state pension is paid 4 weeks in arrears.

Depending on your circumstances, you may also be entitled to claim pension credit; www.gov.uk/pension-credit, again you can apply 3 months before you reach state pension age.

I would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk .

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: otterysteve, VIA

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288467 by otterysteve
Replied by otterysteve on topic ESA at retirement age
Thank you Gary, I would have expected the ESA to stop as you say.

BUT the letter I have recieved states:

"From xx [the day before my 66th birthday] March 2025 your Employment and Support Allowance will be £138.20 a week."

I have left the actual date out here but it is the day before my 66th birthday, and so is the day you say my ESA will end. I don't understand how they can be quoting an amount per week if it IS ending on that day? It doesn't make any sense to me. Why are they telling me I will be receiving £138.20 a week if the day they say that starts is in fact the day it ends?

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288469 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA at retirement age
o

ESA is paid fortnightly in arrears, the figure they have quoted is for your last payment of ESA, not an ongoing one.

I've been dealing with ESA for more than 10 years on the forum and I have yet to hear of an ESA letter that actually made sense to the reader.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: otterysteve, VIA

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288480 by MrFibro
Replied by MrFibro on topic ESA at retirement age
Hi Gary,

If a person receives state pension 4 weeks arrears. Does it mean, if a person died, then their family/s or next of kin would receive the person 4 weeks arrears, which is owing ?

Regards

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288496 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA at retirement age
MrF

They would receive whatever portion of the last payment is due given the payment period covered and the date of death. This could be the full four weeks but could also be a shorter period.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.