× Members

Does the Mixing with People overlap with Planning and undertaking journeys?

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288856 by Blueberry Owl
Sorry for yet another query.

In preparation for my assessment I’m trying to put together some bullet points for each category regarding how they apply to me and I wondered if these two categories overlap and can be linked? Is there a risk of putting the same difficulties in both categories?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288863 by Gary
Hi Blueberry Owl

If you have the same difficulties in each category then say so, you need to explain the difficulties.

This is what the DWP guidance say about Mixing with Other People

This activity considers a claimant’s ability to engage with other people, which means to interact face-to-face in a contextually and socially appropriate manner, understand body language and establish relationships.

Activities 7 and 9 are not mutually exclusive. If claimants require support to engage with others under activity 9, as well as communication support under activity 7, then their needs must be considered under both activities.

Notes:
An inability to engage face-to-face must be due to the impact of impairment and not simply a matter of preference by the claimant.

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there any problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

If you say your walking is restricted, you would need to be unable to reliably walk more than 50m to score sufficient points for an award just on the Moving Around activity.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blueberry Owl

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288877 by Blueberry Owl
Thanks Gary.

What is the difference between 'follow a route' and 'undertake a journey'?

thanks again.

:)

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #288881 by Gordon
B

Gary does explain this in his post above!

"Undertaking a Journey... ...is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere"

"Following a route... ...the problems you would have navigating a route"

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robreay, Blueberry Owl

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288898 by MDBond
Hi Blueberry Owl

I know the mobility aspects can be hard to get your head around.

There is a fantastic video/webinar on the PIP Guides page under the following heading:

Claiming the PIP mobility component on mental health grounds – recording

I really recommend watching this video, especially I think the last hour from what I recall is invaluable regarding the mobility aspect, although it is all really useful and I recommend watching it all. Do it in chunks as it's not easy sitting through a 2 hour video in one go. I would also make notes to try and help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blueberry Owl

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.