× Members

Assessor not listening

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288868 by NotHappy
Assessor not listening was created by NotHappy
I was on high rate pip for my care but after my assessment l was dropped to low rate care.
I have psychotic depression with auditory hallucinations.
I also have bad arthritis.
I told the assessor l was on aripiprazole but she’s put in my assessment (as l have the recording) lm not on any antipsychotic medication. I repeated aripiprazole many times to her. She was a general nurse.
I was awarded 11 points and she’s stated anyone can give my care but due to the the nature of the auditory hallucinations and what they say to me this is incorrect and could be dangerous for me and a stranger if they were to try give care and communicate with me. I rely on only these two close relatives and my GP that’s all who l want to communicate safely with me. What should l do about this drop in help.
Any suggestions most welcome with the wording on how to appeal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #288902 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Assessor not listening
Hi NotHappy

I'm sorry you find yourself in this position. Have you got a copy of the assessor's report (PA4)? If you haven't, you need to ring the DWP and ask for it. It takes 7 - 10 days to arrive. You have one month from the date on the decision letter to get in your Mandatory Reconsideration.

You need to know exactly where you have lost the points. I understand your annoyance about what she wrote about the help, but whether the help you require is from someone familiar or from a stranger will not make a difference to the PIP points you are awarded.

I get that her judgement diminishes the seriousness of your condition- but even correcting that mistake (which you should do) - you still need to see on what specific questions you lost the points you had before.

The mistake on the medicine is easy to correct and I would copy the information from the NHS website and use a highlighter pen that says it's an antipsychotic medicine www.nhs.uk/medicines/aripiprazole/about-aripiprazole/ I would also point out that it does not "cure" the condition and your symptoms are not easily managed (hence why you need people you are familiar with). I would also emphasise the impact of auditory hallucinations (again).

You're probably tempted to criticise the assessor for her lack of knowledge - but don't, because it won't make any difference. If you want to put in a complaint later - do so - but at this point, I would just say that she is "mistaken," she "misunderstood", etc. The important thing to get over is that your condition has not changed and the distressing and potentially dangerous nature of your condition.

Do have a look at the Guide to PIP Appeals, which has information on submitting a Mandatory Reconsideration. There is also a guide on challenging a medical report, which you will have to do.

Come back if you have any more questions, and we will try and help.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by BIS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MDBond

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288944 by MDBond
Replied by MDBond on topic Assessor not listening
Hi Nothappy,

I too had a very similar experience with my assessor, only I was applying for PIP for the first time.

I take painkillers and stated that in my application and we again went over this at the start of the assessment where she asked me to list my medication and I mentioned the painkillers.

Yet on my outright refusal, it was stated repeatedly that I don't take painkillers for my condition. :silly:

They also said I didn't have treatment for anxiety and depression when again I had already sent in evidence that I did and was also on the very long waiting list for CBT.

Lastly I asked for my PA4 many times both on the phone and in writing, but the DWP failed to send it. They only sent it to me one month after I'd filed a Tribunal claim, along with the Tribunal bundle.

I would ask them to send you the PA4 in writing, do not bother asking on the phone as they will likely ignore you/not send it as they did to me. Write and ask for it if at all possible.

Hope that helps.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288962 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Assessor not listening
Dear MDBond, if you can possibly manage to complain about the unsent PA4, eg vis your MP, it would be of great help to the rest of us. It took me two phone calls to get mine and I did still have it in time for the one-month MR deadline, so whoever was responsible for your appalling treatment over this should be called out, if you can. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheila 966, Wendy Woo

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.