× Members

Expiry of existing DLA benefits

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288931 by Cocidius
Expiry of existing DLA benefits was created by Cocidius
Currently I receive higher level of both parts of DLA. I am approaching my 74th birthday. My current Motability lease expires in October 2024.

I understand from Motability that I can apply for a new lease to provide a car from that date. A normal lease would be for 3 years. As I would reach my 75th birthday in March 2025, I wonder if there is a age when DLA would end?

I have not seen any literature on this point and I have not been able to ask on the DWP helpline.

Can anyone shed light on this point, please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288966 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Expiry of existing DLA benefits
Hi Cocidius,
DLA is not age limited- it can continue for as long as you live, provided you continue to have the relevant care needs and or mobility problems.
There are rules about continuing DLA payments if you are having a long term stay in a hospital or become a permanent care home resident. (If this applies to you please repost for further info.)
Just for some context - if you had DLA prior to receiving State Pension Age you can continue to receive this. People who develop disabilities (or whose conditions worsen) after pension age need to claim Attendance Allowance. It is based largely on the same criteria as DLA, but there is no mobility element.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cocidius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.