× Members

Change to Income based ESA from Contributions based & in Support Group

More
1 month 6 days ago #289273 by Labrador
Hi again

More queries re applying for UC from contributions based esa support group.

I spoke to a CAB advisor who said I will need to apply online for UC & go through all the forms inc UC50 & a face to face interview at the job centre. My ESA payments will stop but I may be able to get an Advance Payment to cover me.

I asked about whether being in the support group currently means I will not have to reapply fully & be re-assessed & he said possibly but no guarantee.

Could you clarify how to apply as I am due major surgery in April & fear I won’t be able to go attend physically any interviews etc.

Is there a point in the application whereby your claim is transferred without having to be re-assessed again? I do not want to start the process the cab advisor stated if there is an alternative route. I may have to delay my application until my operation is completed & I am able to engage with the process (mentally as well as physically).

I said I do not have the capability to withstand a full assessment & asked if there are any accommodations for this to help? He wasn’t sure.

Any help wld be gratefully received

Lorraine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 6 days ago #289317 by Gary
Hi Labrador

As you are in the support group when you apply for UC you should be placed in the LCWRA group, sometimes a workcoach states that you need to provide a fit note, this is not correct.

Nearly all applications are made online, although there are exceptions such as telephone applications and home visits, if in doubt, contact the UC helpline 0800 328 5644

When you apply for UC, you usually have to make an appointment to see a workcoach and sign a claimant commitment, signing the claimant commitment starts your UC claim.

he conditions for claiming Universal Credit are set out in a "claimant commitment" that most people will have to accept at the beginning of their claim. If you are part of a couple, you will each have a separate claimant commitment that may be different from each other's.

People who may not need to accept a commitment include those who lack capacity, those who have exceptional circumstances  where it would be unreasonable to expect them to agree a commitment (this is decided by the work coach on a case by case basis), or, From 15 February 2022 people with a terminal illness and less than 6 months to live were also excluded, and from 4 April 2023 this was extended to 12 months.

There are 4 conditionality groups:

* Group 1. No work related requirements
* Group 2. Work-focused interview requirement
* Group 3. Work preparation requirement
* Group 4. All work-related requirements

www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Claimant-commitment-Universal-Credit

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Labrador

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.