× Members

PIP ....Driving (me insane)

More
1 month 1 week ago #288989 by Holly
PIP ....Driving (me insane) was created by Holly
Hi everyone,

First time posting, but the guides have all been super helpful.

I am so worried. I have my phone assessment next week as I let them know there was changes to my conditions (RA, Fibro, Depression and in the process of diagnosing for a panic disorder / social phobia).

The thing that is bothering me is that I can drive. But although I can drive and have a license, for the past 4/5 months I have not driven because of my conditions. I have been put on a type of biologic treatment so the is a possibility that my situation will improve in a few months.

I am scared that the PIP assessor will take my license away from me.

I know when I can drive and when I can't. I just don't know how I can communicate this.
I don't take any opioid based pain killers as they make me really sick and anxiety wise I feel safe in a car. But I can't plan a route. When I do/did drive it is for very short distances and only familiar routes and I panic when anything changes. I also bought lots of things to help me with driving like a steering wheel ball and a high friction chunky steering wheel cover so I don't have to grip the wheel like a regular person would I have the use of an automatic car.

I also have an eye condition which when flared I can not drive. The hospital have said when the condition is flared not to drive but when it is not flared I can drive.

I am really freaking out to the point its making me ill :-(

Are there any pitfalls that I should avoid? I don't want to lie but from what I have read the assessors look to mark anyone down who can drive and they have refused me points on this basis in the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289004 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP ....Driving (me insane)
Hi Holly

The PIP assessor cannot take your licence away from you.

On very rare occasions, the DWP has liaised with the DVLA and informed them that a PIP claimant should not be driving because of what they have said on their PIP application or revealed at an assessment. The DVLA can then decide to withdraw a person's driving licence. This is not a common occurrence.

The PIP assessor will undoubtedly mention that you drive during the assessment. Claimants often run into difficulties if they say they have a condition that makes it difficult to prepare a meal or get in and out of a bath or shower but then say they drive a car. Claimants argue that it is not the same - but there arguments often don't hold up. So have a look at this post on PIP and driving benefitsandwork.co.uk/kunena/10-dla-esa-...8543-pip-and-driving. You are allowed to drive and claim PIP. I would currently focus on the fact that you don't currently drive and try to avoid discussing it further.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.