× Members

18 year old wants part time self employment

More
1 month 1 week ago #289098 by Xepher
My daughter is 18 and wants to start herself an Etsy shop selling artwork she has made. I've tried to google to find out if her doing this would affect our benefit claim, but everything is so confusing. She is doing the IB and plans to continue her education full time. The shop would be a side hobby.

We haven't been moved to UC yet, and get housing benefit, council tax reduction, child benefit and child tax credit. We have a disabled son that my husband is a carer for and gets carer's allowance. Our son gets enchanced DLA and a extra bit of child tax credit. I get PIP and ESA in the support group. We have three children, of which the other two are under 18.

I have no idea what my daughter might earn from artwork. She might only sell one but she might sell loads. Is there a threshold where we are affected and if so, what is it? And is that threshold a money one or an hours one? Art is her passion and what she's planning to go into when she starts full time work.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289119 by Gary
Hi Xepher

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

You need to speak to your local Welfare Rights Organisation, your daughter may want to speak to the Princes Trust when setting up a business. www.princes-trust.org.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.