× Members

UC payment of Housing Benefit

More
1 month 1 week ago #289131 by Navigator
UC payment of Housing Benefit was created by Navigator
Hi,

Can anyone inlighten me at to the best way to deal with Housing Benefit.

It is my understanding that this will be taken over by UC and no longer paid by the local authority, my HB is paid on the last day of every month, assuming UC agree to pay this, what is the best date for me to submit my online UC application, so I don't end up not being able to pay my landlord, as I understand that there is a 5 week transitional period. And UC is then paid every month on that date?

If this is the case and I claim UC afer my last HB has been paid, this will mean that my Rent is going to always be paid to me late? If I apply for UC before my HB has been paid will they stop it being paid the minuite I apply for UC?

I'm sorry if this sounds confusing but I am just trying not to stress out, as the more I try to deal with this, themore my mind goes blank

Kind regards
D
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289137 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic UC payment of Housing Benefit
Hi Navigator,

If you're in council housing then housing benefit is added to your UC on exactly the same day that you would get your UC. It is split also - so for example say you pay £100 per week for 48 weeks rather than 52 weeks (because of the 2 weeks free in the Summer and Winter period), then your Housing element of UC will be decreased as £4800 over the year, so you don't get the full amount every week, but you do get it when its the rent free weeks - does that make sense ? It's basically split. You can pay your rent yourself which I do, when the money goes into your bank, or you can arrange for it to be collected straight out your UC, but remember the way it's worked, that you won't get your full weekly rent because of the rent free weeks being included. If you don't have any rent free weeks, then your rent will be paid as normal, but unfortunately it will be behind, it always is, but you may be able to apply for an immediate loan via UC to help cover your rent, then this will be deducted from your UC at a small amount on a monthly basis until it is repaid back by yourself. Should you start work however, they'll offer you the chance to likely pay it off in full. This happened to me before.

Does this help answer your question ?

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
1 month 1 week ago #289255 by AshleyMcab
Replied by AshleyMcab on topic UC payment of Housing Benefit
You can continue to get Housing Benefit for 2 weeks after you move to Universal Credit

Moving from Housing Benefit to Universal Credit

www.gov.uk/guidance/moving-from-housing-...-to-universal-credit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, Chris

More
1 month 5 days ago #289343 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic UC payment of Housing Benefit
Hi Ashley,

This is a new one on me also, so thank you for that :)

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.