× Members

Compliance review still on going after 5 months

More
1 month 1 week ago #289138 by JaneyJane
Hello! I posted before giving all the horrible details of my experience with a compliance officer.
I sent them all the bank statements they requested. They lost these and I had to resend. Thought that would be it but I’m now being asked for more details about the same account (an ISA) I do not have.
I supplied a letter from the bank showing all the account numbers o have or have had with them.
Nope still not good enough, she wants statements which I am unable to provide as it’s not my account.

Things now get complicated, I have had to go to Ireland as my dad had a stroke and needs care. I’ll be here at least 8 weeks (I’m also waiting on being rehoused in the uk so could be longer)
I updated my journal to tell them I went to Ireland on March 13th and will be here for 8 weeks (minimum) I asked for my claim to be closed/suspended as I know my entitlement will end. I claim PIP too so I know I have to be back within 12 weeks. I recieved the following journal entry yesterday
“Hi Jane, the review has taken so long due to your mental health issues and your desire to involve your MP. Whilst the Department is sorry to here about your alleged Menatl health issues and your fathers ill health at this time I am not in a position to authorise ANY absence from the UK until such time as I have completed my review. For the same reasons your claim will not be stopped/suspended.
Once I am satisfied with the documentation you have submitted we will be in touch and you can at that point end your claim and leave the country.
Whilst this may be difficult for you to hear, it is a condition of receiving means tested benefits that you engage with the process and rules.”

The issue is I’m already in Ireland with my dad (his stroke was very bad and he had no one to help him once he was out of hospital)
Do I need to return to the UK? The compliance officer has threatens to have my passport cancelled (via a telephone call) if I try to, in her words “skip the country”

I have put in a formal complaint as has my MP but so far we have been ignored.

Should I return to the UK? I have some everything in they requested but she still wants statements from an account I don’t have.
I have severe mental health issues and this all started whilst I was in a psych ward and she was calling and messaging daily (my psychiatrist wrote to them detailing the effect this is having but this too was ignored)

Can anyone help? I’m struggling to care for my dad, look after my own mental health and now I’m terrified I won’t have a passport to come home?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #289141 by Gordon
JJ

As far as I can find the DWP does not have the authority to seize your passport or prevent you from leaving the country.

So, I would start by asking the Compliance Officer for specific references to the legislation they would be invoking to do these things.

Given how this issue appears to be escalating you should certainly get advice from a trained advisor. See

advicelocal.uk/

I know you already have an appointment booked with the CAB, try and escalate the issue with them to see if you can get a quicker one

you should also consider getting legal advice, you may be able to get free advice if you can keep the consultation to less than an hour.

I'm afraid we cannot offer any advice about your returning to the DWP or not.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: C

More
1 month 1 week ago #289142 by JaneyJane
Replied by JaneyJane on topic Compliance review still on going after 5 months
Thanks. Unfortunately the appt I have with CAB is the quickest one I can get.
I’m not in the UK at present and obviously caring for my dad is taking up a lot of my time.
I was just concerned as the compliance officer stated she can have my passport cancelled which would leave me stuck in Ireland.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289144 by JaneyJane
Replied by JaneyJane on topic Compliance review still on going after 5 months
Thank you for your reply. I have managed to get through to my case manager at UC who cannot find any rules that say I cannot go abroad. He has agreed to suspend my claim to prevent any future overpayments occurring.
Do you know how long the dwp take to answer official complaints? Myself
And my MP both submitted complaints and have heard nothing.
Aside from the comment from the compliance officer stating “you have no reason to complain”

More
1 month 1 week ago #289152 by Chris
Hi JaneyJane,

Wow - sounds like you've got a "I know it all" type of compliance officer on your case. I think when they say anything like that, it's best to ask them if they can send it to you in writing or via email, then you've actually got concrete evidence of making a complaint, especially if they're telling you things that are incorrect, which would leave you panicking that you could end up stuck in Ireland.

There is a complaints procedure online via the Gov.uk website - it may help give you guidance with what you were wanting to know about the length of time, or if not, who you could turn to for an answer.

www.gov.uk/government/organisations/depa...complaints-procedure

Regards, Chris

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: JaneyJane

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.