× Members

Does Selling home affect my benefits.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289174 by DAISY
Hi,
It is with the greatest regret that my wife and I have to sell our home after 37 years as we are finding it difficult to manage with me at 76 and my wife at 68, as its too large for us to cope with now. I receive DLA, AA paid at the lower rate, pension credit guarantee credit, council tax support and my wife gets PIP Daily Living and Mobility at standard rate, we also claim our state pensions. Also, I believe we both get the under lying carers allowance payment.
The property I hope to buy does needs some attention i.e turn the ensuite into a wet room, decorating, carpets, wardrobes (as our wardrobes are fitted) which I am hoping to do with the money from the sale of my property. I do not expect much will be left if any, after I pay for the improvements listed above, also conveyancing fees, estate agent fees, possibly stamp duty, and moving fees. Will our benefits stop once the sale goes through as we will not be able to afford to get the work carried out as we have no savings?

Daisy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289206 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Does Selling home affect my benefits.
Hi DAISY

You raise an interesting question which unfortunately is outside the remit of the forum.

We would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk they will be able to take all your circumstances into consideration to give you accurate advice.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
1 month 1 week ago #289223 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Does Selling home affect my benefits.
One thing worth knowing is if you have a wet room specially put in to cater for your/your wife's disability, you may possibly be able to claim a council tax reduction by one level, eg D to C. Keep evidence of how it was and how it ends up, photos I took were all our council needed. [Though that was during Covid, so perhaps builder/plumber receipts would be useful too].
Hoping you are able to make your move, Denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.