× Members

EUPD/BPD claim

More
1 month 4 days ago #289380 by Clueless_
EUPD/BPD claim was created by Clueless_
Hi guys, first time poster.

I have EUPD/BPD and other things and I’m so scared to even apply for PIP because I’m not sure how I get it across how it affects me. I have just signed up for a year so I have access to the guides but I’m genuinely overwhelmed and don’t want to do it wrong. I don’t really understand how to use the guides and what applies to me specifically. I feel if I go through this process (taken me 12 years to even get enough courage to get to this point) and they turn me down I’m just going to spiral it’s going to affect my MH more. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 days ago #289395 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic EUPD/BPD claim
Hi Clueless

Welcome to the forum

I understand your fears and your wish to protect your mental health - so my first piece of advice is don't read things on social media or Facebook about PIP - (too many horror stories), read anything in the newspapers about benefits (too many horror stories) or listen to any politicians (too many on all sides wanting to score political points). If you read even a tiny portion, you could spiral, and it's very difficult to know what is true and what isn't. If there's anything people need to know - it will appear in the newsletter here.

If you choose to read the posts on the forum, you will hear of some good experiences and some bad experiences. People tend to talk more about the bad than the good ones. The second piece of advice is don't start off the process thinking that it will all be terrible. It is challenging, and it is daunting - and sometimes things go wrong, but many of our members have successfully got the awards they deserve. If you have questions ask them and never think that your question is stupid or that you should know something you don't.

The third piece of advice is simply to concentrate on answering one question on the PIP form at a time. In the guide, there are examples of questions to ask yourself which will help you form your answer. So, if you look at question 3, Preparing Food - PIP want to know if you can prepare and cook a simple one-course meal. If you can't, then you need to explain why. For example with EUPD/BPD when you're experiencing a low - does this prevent you from being able to cook, does it affect your motivation to prepare a meal? Perhaps you get so low you don't bother to eat at all. Perhaps you avoid trying to prepare a meal because of how you feel. Do you feel safe in the kitchen?

You know your condition and how it affects you. Don't try and write the perfect sentence. Just try one question and jot down things you would want to say. The person reading your form doesn't know you and may know nothing of your condition - so don't assume they will understand - you have to tell them. It is not so much your condition they are interested in - but how it affects you in terms of the PIP criteria. So if you're on strong medication and it makes you sleepy and you struggle to cook - you need to say so - because it won't be the same for everyone.

Try one question—read the guide for that question, then try to answer it. If you have a loved one or friend who can assist you in any way, get them to help. And come back and ask us any questions, and we will try to help where we can. You can do this!

The fourth piece of advice is that there are no guarantees in any of this. Now that you have come this far, all you can do is give it your best shot.

BiS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 4 days ago #289399 by freefee
Replied by freefee on topic EUPD/BPD claim
hi i am not a mod on here or neither am any sort of expert, every claim is difficult, but i guess the first is the hardest, do not be afraid of claiming though, i echo the statement by BIS, and my input is that i have been on incapacity benefit dla then esa and pip as the years went by, over 20 years now, and made many claims, you get better the more you do it, but i always find it a bit of a struggle, the DWP are nice like that, my advice read through it to see what they want to know, as said generally they seem more concerned about how your illness/condition affects you more than anything else, use the table of points awarded, you can google them, or i am sure someone can put a link up for you, to see which one matches you, approach it one question at a time. you may find yourself repeating yourself on many of the questions, as your condition will generally in my experience match most of the questions, if applicable, if there is a question and you are not hindered in any way, then it.s ok just to say your condition does not affect you in this particular case, but do not sell yourself short, if you struggle then tell them, do not have the old british stiff upper lip and think i struggle but i get by, when completed, make photocopies of your answers for your own records, this also helps when filling in your next assessment if applicable, if you need more space than the boxes provided do not be afraid to write your answers on you own paper and attach to questionaire, i know i do, do it one question at a time so it is less overwhelming, take a break from filling forms in and return to it later, when ready to continue, do not be afraid to phone them up and ask for extra time to return documents if you need it, get supporting evidence from your gp other health care proffessionals and even family and friends if they can back you up in what you are saying, and be prepared to write your national insurance number on every bit of paper you send them, i hope this helps you, it is daunting but take a deep breath and do it, do not be afraid to ask for help on this site, if your question cannot be answered you will generally be pointed in the right direction,
welcome and good luck

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.