× Members

ESA Reporting Changes Leaflet ESACOC 05/23

More
1 month 10 hours ago #289522 by ostia
Hello I am in ESA Support Group (IR) and PIP lower level. I was sent the above leaflet with my last ESA Award. I was puzzled to see that the section on p.6 Other Changes you Must Report says that you must tell the DWP if you ."......leave Great Britain (England,........) for any period of time." I have seen elsewhere that a 28 day holiday is allowed without needing to inform the DWP. Has the rule changed? I am planning to go on a pilgimage for 6 nights to Europe with a church group in May and then a brief visit to Switzerland with my mother to see new family babies. My medical insurance says that I must not travel alone due to my health issues so I thought that the DWP would permit these brief trips without a lot of fuss. Please could you let me know what you advise. Kind regards Ostia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 9 hours ago #289526 by Gary
Hi ostia

We have had a number of queries recently regarding holidays abroad.

It is 13 weeks for PIP and 4 weeks for ESA. The day they leave and the day they return should not be counted. See

www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/disability-benefits

From the Gov website I found the following information;

Going abroad temporarily

Tell the office that pays your benefit if you plan to go abroad for more than 4 weeks.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #289760 by ostia
Replied by ostia on topic ESA Reporting Changes Leaflet ESACOC 05/23
Thanks Gary but the same website says in section Reporting Changes that going abroad for any period of time should be reported....so like the DWP to contradict itself!! This is what the leaflet I was sent says....is it one of their traps?! Would rather not contact them but not sure what to do. Are airport passenger records passed to the dwp? I'm afraid to do the wrong thing but also worried that reporting a change could trigger a full review of my case, as I have heard from others. Thanks

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #289786 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Reporting Changes Leaflet ESACOC 05/23
o

To clarify Gary's words.

We can't say that you do not need to contact the DWP, however, pretty much everybody who has been in this situation and reported it to the DWP has found that they are not really interested.

I would always advise contacting them for longer periods away as Gary has said but six days, should not be an issue.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.