× Members

PIP - how long for tribunal?

More
1 month 3 days ago #290019 by PatriciaS0309
PIP - how long for tribunal? was created by PatriciaS0309
Hi all. I’m new to this site and I just have a question. I filled out the PIP claim for my dad because he has a range of health issues, mainly pulmonary embolism and chronic knee pain. We filled everything out without any external help due to not knowing that there was much help out there.
The original claim we put in last July was denied, so we asked for an MR. After explaining why we disagreed, our MR was also denied. We did not ask for what I now know to be a PA4 - we just went straight to submitting an appeal.
DWP had until yesterday to respond, but have responded today. They have made a decision and it should be in the post for us to receive shortly. There is mention of the hearing decision being received in the post and it could take several months but I’m just wondering for anybody that has gotten to the appeal/tribunal part - how long did it take to get a hearing date?
Also does anyone have an idea of what it might say in the response letter? Since it is going to a hearing, I can only assume they haven’t made a decision in my favour.

Also, I’ve been reading up on what people have been saying and this process really does take a toll on your mental health. We have been going back and forth for 8 months now - I know it may not seem long to some but it’s been 8 months of rejection, waiting, and not even being sure if my dads conditions are actually proper conditions at this point. It has been a very disheartening process and quite frankly I’m scared to receive this letter in the post in case it’s another unfortunate reply, but I will keep going!

Thanks in advance
Pat
The following user(s) said Thank You: C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 days ago #290022 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP - how long for tribunal?
Hi PatriciaS0309

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you didn't know about us before, but we're glad you're here.

I'm afraid I can't give you an accurate time on the appeal date, but it could be up to a year. It does vary slightly across the country - so you can always ring your local Tribunals Service and ask them if they could give you a timescale.

I can't tell you what they included in the response letter. Generally, it justifies their original PIP decision and explains why they are sticking to it, but until you get it, you won't know. Even if it is a disappointing answer - they do sometimes change their mind later on.

As you are new to the site, do look at our Guide to Appeals (and any of the other guides which might be of interest) to ensure that you have challenged everything you need to challenge. You can always send in additional information (up to 10 days before the tribunal) - which is relevant to the time the assessment took place. You can't include any new information - such as a deterioration in your father's condition because they won't look at it. Their job is to decide whether or not the DWP made the right decision.

It is a huge strain on you, but come back and ask questions any time - because there are lots of people around with experience of what you're going through,

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheila 966, C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.