× Members

Budgeting for a 16 Year Old

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #290101 by Moosey
Budgeting for a 16 Year Old was created by Moosey
Hi,
I am struggling!
My daughter has turned 16 so she is transferring from DLA to PIP. She has Cerebral Palsy and has received the higher components of both DLA. I am her appointee.
The main query I have is regarding the budgeting section... she is very competent mathematically but has never had to budget! She has a very low opinion of herself and gets distressed quickly so I can imagine she would either just overspend and not worry about needing money for food etc later or not spend anything at all because she would worry about not having enough money for food etc later! I just don't know how to phrase it...
Also, the wording is do different to DLA, she always wears AFOs and wouldn't be able to manage without them and refuses to use crutches outside (hates people looking at her) so will hold my arm instead. She very rarely goes out without me. She also tires easily and can't stand for long. I will mention her feelings but just not sure which box to tick, less than 20 metres without AFOs and between 20 and 50 with.
As much as I dreaded filling in the DLA forms now they seem more relevant for my daughter.
Thank you for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #290130 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Budgeting for a 16 Year Old
Hi Moosey

Have you looked at the Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews? Page 73 for Managing Money. Your daughter has never had to budget, and I assume she lives with you. Do not put or say that she is mathematically competent because that will immediately be interpreted by someone who does not understand her disabilities that she could manage. And do not say what she 'might' be able to do. It is what she can do at the moment. I'm assuming that you will continue to be her appointee. Therefore, I would not hesitate to answer the question as 'cannot manage budgeting decisions at all' due to the symptoms of her cerebral palsy and the fact she has never been in a position where she has had to try and understand the value of money. (Obviously, you know your daughter, and I don't - but if she has done anything with money - you can give an example = going to the shop and buying something is different from actually understanding the repercussions of what has been spent.

She cannot stand long and then tires easily, and therefore, I would put less than 20 metres. You can put the 20 to 50, but is that really realistic? The judgement is, can she walk safely, in a timely fashion (what you would expect someone without the disability to be able to do to an acceptable standard, and repeatedly? It doesn't sound as if she could - and that's why I would not hesitate to put less than 20. I'm not saying you shouldn't mention her feelings, but this is about her physical ability to be able to move with and without aids. Look at the guide and double-check (page 86).

I know this is a big change and PIP is different = so please make sure you have been through every question in the guide to make sure you know how to answer the questions, especially as you will be talking on her behalf.

The best of luck.

Come back and ask if you have any further questions.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 weeks 23 hours ago #290154 by Moosey
Replied by Moosey on topic Budgeting for a 16 Year Old
Thank you so much, I will for sure keep you updated.

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.