× Members

PIP Telephone Assessment and Appointee

More
1 week 4 days ago #290441 by Katester27
PIP Telephone Assessment and Appointee was created by Katester27
My son is 16 and I am his appointee for PIP. A telephone appointment has been booked for later this week. My son is adamant that he won't talk to the assessor. He's Autistic and has anxiety. Does he have to talk or even be present at the assessment or can I do it all for him as I'm his appointee?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #290458 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Telephone Assessment and Appointee
Hi Katester27

Your son should not have to be present. Some assessors have been shirty about this recently - but one of our members insisted (rightly so) that she was the appointee and they could not talk to her daughter (who has autism) as she was cowering in the next room. The assessor told her that this was a safeguarding issue (which is rubbish). The member stood their ground and told the assessor they were welcome to speak to their supervisor - but they were not going to speak to her daughter. The assessor gave in, and they carried on with her doing the assessment. They never spoke to the daughter and there has been no reprecussions of this.

I say this because I believe you should stick to your guns. The role of an appointee is to speak on behalf of the claimant. Don't let them stop you from doing your job.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donna2512, Wendy Woo, C, Katester27

More
1 week 3 days ago #290494 by Katester27
Replied by Katester27 on topic PIP Telephone Assessment and Appointee
Thank you. I have seen a lot of people say that they have had problems with the assessor insisting they speak to the child, which is why I asked the question. I had a call yesterday to confirm the appointment on Thursday and asked the question did he have to speak? The lady was quite rude and said he had to be there and it was up to the assessor to decide and they might have to ask him a question to prove he was with me. Yet looking at the PIP Assessment Guidance Part 1 it specifically says where an appointee has been nominated to represent the claimant, the claimant must not be instructed to attend a consultation. I guess I just need to be prepared to stand my ground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Anji

More
1 week 3 days ago #290496 by Donna2512
Replied by Donna2512 on topic PIP Telephone Assessment and Appointee
I've experienced this recently. the receptionist said that d had to be there although I had sent in SALT report detailing d's selective mutism and anxiety. BIS had advised already that I stood my ground so I felt more confident to do so. Assessor asked that d gave her permission to speak on her behalf. I said DWP had given permission for that by making me appointee. She then said she needed to know d was present as it was a safeguarding concern. I advised that if she had safeguarding concerns then she should inform social care and started reeling off the number and said I had no objections to her doing so. She backtracked then and said she would need to speak to her supervisor. She didn't because I knew she was at home as receptionist had told me and she didn't pause at all. Call went ahead, d stayed in her room d got Enhanced awards both elements and 12 points for communicating verbally so worth standing my ground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS, Wendy Woo, C, Katester27

More
1 week 1 day ago #290587 by Katester27
Replied by Katester27 on topic PIP Telephone Assessment and Appointee
Thanks for your reply. I thought I'd update you on my experience at the assessment this morning. When I said my son wouldn't come to the phone as he was in his bedroom too anxious, she said although they were told they had to speak to the claimant, she wouldn't put him through that and cause him more anxiety, so she was happy to continue talking to me. It was a relief not to have to stand my ground. I just have to wait for the decision now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donna2512, Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, C

More
1 week 1 day ago #290593 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Telephone Assessment and Appointee
Hi Katester27

I'm glad you had an assessor who showed some common sense. Forty-eight hours after the assessment, you can call the DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report. It's called a PA4. It normally takes 7 - 10 days to arrive after you submit the request.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: C, Katester27

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.