× Members

Help required for my sister

More
1 week 4 days ago #290466 by bassettsfarm
Help required for my sister was created by bassettsfarm
Hello all, my sister lives alone, does not leave the house and has lost her sight. She has an indefinite award for PIP, high level for both mobility and daily living. She doesn’t let anyone into her home, apart from one family friend who delivers her some food. She also lives in rented accommodation, has done for many, many years. She has been getting messages from a lady from the council, she assumed it was about council tax. However, this woman has now spoken to my sister (who even hates talking to people on the telephone), and this woman has been very brusque with my sister. She has told her she wants to see two months bank statements, and because it’s taken a long time to contact her, she is perfectly within her rights to stop her rent payments. My sister is absolutely frantic and sick with worry.

I know that this question isn’t about DWP things, but I just wondered if anyone could help me at all to try to put her mind at rest. Is this woman within her rights to request bank statements? My sister is in such a state, she hasn’t even found out why this lady is asking for things. Any advice would be really appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #290467 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Help required for my sister
Hi Bassettsfarm

Your question is outside the remit of this forum, but here's my advice: I don't know whether it's possible for you to be with your sister when she (or you, or a friend?) calls the council. She needs to establish who this person is and what they are trying to find out. She can't just send off bank statement without clarification.

Are they within their rights to ask? Yes, in certain cases, they are - but no one is supposed to do this without giving an explanation. Your sister's mind cannot be put at rest without checking that this person works for the council. So don't use any number that your sister might have been given. Go directly to the council website and go through the general switchboard, and ask to be put through to this person. That will establish that they work for the council. I know it's hard for your sister, but you then need to establish why they are doing this.

Your sister also needs to point out that she is a highly vulnerable person and should be listed as such. Most councils have a department or section to look after those who are vulnerable. They might not even be aware of this. That's why if someone could be with her when making the call - they can not only bear witness to what your sister is told, but also intervene if necessary.

That's the best advice I can give. Wishing your sister well. I hope that she can get it sorted.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: bassettsfarm, KABTT , Sheila 966

More
1 week 3 days ago #290478 by KABTT
Replied by KABTT on topic Help required for my sister
Age UK might be handy.

More
1 week 3 days ago #290485 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Help required for my sister
bf

How much money has she got in the bank?

I'm not asking you to tell us but if it is over £6000 then there will be deductions from her Housing Benefit and if it is over £16,000 then she loses entitlement to HB entirely.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: bassettsfarm, Sheila 966, C

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.