× Members

Becoming homeless during PIP Review process

More
1 week 4 days ago #290531 by Paul H
Hello everyone,

First time I have posted, so here goes - I currently receive PIP basic level of care (£280.00 approx. per 4 weeks), and I'm under review, having filled out the forms, provided evidence etc and am waiting in the backlog queue for either a decision, or a telephone review or face-to-face review.

My personal circumstances very recently changed. I had to leave the house I lived in with my (now ex-) partner. We have separated. I have been assessed this week as homeless and am living in a small van. Aside from the upheaval this has caused to my mental health I am getting anxious about a lot of things. One of these things I'd really appreciate some advice on is:

When should I contact PIP and tell them about my circumstance change?

I don't want to cause any extra problems with my PIP claim whilst it's under review as I am homeless, only just coping and my 'official' address is now at the local Job Centre. I'm mindful also that I should report this change in my circumstances to PIP.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I am receiving UC (migrated off Tax Credits to UC in Jan '24) as well as PIP. Under my current circumstances I am very worried that my PIP might stop, as every penny I have I desperately need.

I am also struggling with my mobility due to arthritis in my joint, my right knee especially, I am on a waiting list for knee replacement surgery. I was also diagnosed with Prostate cancer in 2022.

The mobility issues (I now have to use a stick to walk over 200 metres) and the cancer diagnosis I listed in detail with all supporting letters etc when I completed my PIP review forms and sent back in Jan '24. I'm awaiting the review whilst they deal with a backlog of reviews.

Thanks, Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #290539 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Becoming homeless during PIP Review process
Hello and welcome to the Forum.
You may wish to change your ID so that it does not show your full name - that is your choice, but it is possible. (If the website was not currently going so slow, I would give you instructions of how to do it. Hopefully one of our members will pick this up and let you know how.)
You do need to make sure that the PIP dept of the DWP have an effective address for you - i.e. one where you will reliably get your post. If your ex-partner cannot be trusted to get your post to you, then you certainly need to let them have one which does work.
I see no reason why changing address should have any impact on the outcome of your review.
I am really sorry to hear that the backlog which I know is causing people so much stress is feeding into such a bad time for you.
Take care of yourself!
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bud, KABTT

More
4 days 13 hours ago #290819 by Paul H
Replied by Paul H on topic Becoming homeless during PIP Review process
thanks Catherine, I will use the Job Centre address I was told to use by Bristol Council . . .

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.