× Members

Keep going.... 2 court appearances, won on the papers

More
1 week 2 days ago #290565 by Beragon
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone at Benefit and work.

I have just been told that I have won my appeal, after two years of trouble. When I originally claimed PIP in 2017, I like so many people naively thought I could just tell my story and I would be believed and paid PIP as I had been sacked when my employer decided I could no longer perform my duties. I ended up in Court and won my appeal with the help of your fantastic guides which explained the points system and offered a translation service for the double speak that the DWP converses in.

All I can say to anyone reading this and dithering whether you should buy a guide, well let me tell you it will be the best money you have ever spent.!

Everything was going fine until in 2022 I was contacted by the DWP and told that my case was to be reviewed. I thought ok things have got worse and if they want to drag me through the same shite again, then so be it. I completed the form, had my telephone assessment, did a mandatory reconsideration, took them to Court, survived a weird spiteful phone call from some rabid DWP official, who tried to persuade me to give up! In the end I was so sure that I would win I decided to do it on the papers, all online and I felt in control.

A few weeks later I received an e mail, the appeal had been done and I won!

I just wanted to say to others, dont give up, read the guides over and over, keep every piece of paper in date order in a ring file, use the Citizens advice bureau.

My last question I hope is to ask how long do I have to wait until I get my money? Will the DWP contact me with a sort of calculation as to how much I am owed?

Thanks again
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , ivyfox, Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, C, Filey, Anji

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 2 days ago #290567 by LL26
Hi Beragon,
Well done on winning your appeal, and thank for sharing your story which will encourage others not to give up.
Payment is usually made within 3-5 weeks. You should get a letter explaining your (ongoing) award. You should also get another letter, or maybe in the same letter, a notification of back pay. The back pay will extend from when your award stopped or reduced until the present day. You can check the amount by adding together the Daily Living rate with the mobility rate. Remember that if you are straddling one or more tax years, there is usually an uprating that you will need to take in to account. (If you Google eg 'benefit rates' and the year you will be able to find a chart with the relevant PIP rates.)
Once again well done.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, C, Anji

More
1 week 2 days ago #290568 by KABTT
Well done! you've been through a lot of stress and the fact you've won despite all the pressure is uplifting for many!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, C, Anji

More
1 week 2 days ago #290595 by Orangeblossom
Replied by Orangeblossom on topic Keep going.... 2 court appearances, won on the papers
I have also won on the papers, when they tried to take it away over a spurious reason, without even seeing me. It was reinstated. It can be quicker I think as they sent mine to a court further away (as I was not attending). DWP tried to say they had not received the appeal notice, so I had to send them mine...
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluejay52, denby, Sheila 966, Catherine, Wendy Woo, C, Anji

More
1 week 2 days ago #290606 by Catherine
I like things which make me smile - so thank you Orangeblossom.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Orangeblossom, denby, Sheila 966, Anji

More
1 week 1 day ago #290641 by Anji
Yay!!! Well done ... such good news.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.