× Members

Claiming PIP just before State Pension

More
2 weeks 20 hours ago #290955 by proj1
Hello,

This is my first post on here so I hope the below is ok to ask.

I have a friend who has just put in a claim for PIP a couple of days ago, though he will reach State Pension age in August.
His hope is that by starting the process, he will be able to benefit from PIP even when he reaches State Pension age despite the drawn-out process.

He has also received his State Pension invitation letter and is unsure whether if he applies for it now and gets it in August, whether that will impact his PIP entitlement as once you are over State Pension, you can't apply for PIP unless you have an existing claim?

He has said that he is able to defer if needed.

The lady over the phone, when he was making his claim, mentioned that any payments would be backdated to the date of the phone call, yet I'm not sure whether that will make a difference. I'm hoping to see if anyone might be able to advise, as I can't see any information regarding this online.

Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 hours ago #290958 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Claiming PIP just before State Pension
p

As they were told by the DWP it is the date of the claim that is important, providing they meet the criteria to make a claim which they appear to have done.

Tell them to claim their State Pension, it is the date they reach State Retirement Age that is the limit for claiming PIP no whether they defer their pension or not.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: proj1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.