× Members

re mobility component and pension age

More
1 week 4 days ago #291074 by tango
hi there my friends original pip award ended in November 22 but because of the dwp delay in carrying out reassessment he only had a reassessment 2 weeks ago and last October 2023 he reached pension age. anyway he got a copy of his assessment report and from whats recommended by the assessor he would get standard rate care and enhanced mobility, his previous award was standard rate care and no mobility, am i right in informing him that he wont get no mobility because he's reached pension age and a mobility award cant be increased once he reaches pension age or can he ask the dwp to backdate the award to when his original award ran out as its not his fault that the dwp took so long to do a reassessment. the dwp have just been extending his previous award due to them not been able to carry out a assessment.

regards tango

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #291085 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic re mobility component and pension age
Hello Tango,
I am going to attempt to reply to your question, but would not be suprised if someone else jumps in and gives a more informed answer.
As I understand it there is a bit of a grey area when it comes to how far a reassessment can be back dated, which is what we are looking at here. However, if your friend completed the reassessment form reflecting his condition pre-retirement age and the evidence reflects the same, I think he has a very strong case for arguing that the award should be either back dated to when he completed the form, or more likely when the original award originally expired.
(If this was a first application which had been started before he reach retirement age but completed after there would be no question that he would definately get the full award.)
Hoping he gets good news!
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 week 4 days ago #291096 by tango
Replied by tango on topic re mobility component and pension age
thanks for your reply i will let him know what you said and we will await the decision letter and go from there. as of a bit more info his wife also had to wait 18 months for a reassessment (nothing to do with pension age) and they increased her awards from standard to enhanced on both care and mobility and also back dated the payments to the date her original award ran out. but this is not always the case as I've talk to people in the same boat and they have only been paid extra money from the day the decision was made. so its a bit hit and miss as is always the case with the dwp..
regards tango

More
1 week 3 days ago #291151 by Steph
Replied by Steph on topic re mobility component and pension age
if they dont back date to the day you filled in the forms, do a mandatory reconsideration or appeal. i had to with mine and won my back money

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.