× Members

New Style ESA & Universal Credit - ESA50 or UC50?

More
1 week 4 days ago #291058 by Gringo2000
Replied by Gringo2000 on topic New Style ESA & Universal Credit - ESA50 or UC50?
Hi Gordon,

Any ideas why I'd be better off on UC than ESA?

According to the benefits calculators on Turn2Us and EntitledTo, they're both suggesting I'd be worse off on Universal Credit.

ESA = £138.20p + £44.30 IIDB (plus PIP at £72.65) = total of £182.50p (plus PIP at £72.65)
ESA with UC = £90.50p ESA + £52.04p UC (plus PIP at £72.65) total = £186.84p (plus PIP at £72.65) - but then £44.30 IIDB to be deducted = £142.54p (plus PIP at £72.65)

So that would suggest I'd be £39.96 per week worse off on ESA with UC.

As for assessments: I've not had an assessment for either yet. I did send a UC50 form back last week though. But if I withdraw my UC claim, I'd just ask the DWP to send me an ESA50 form to fill in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #291063 by Gordon
G

You are making your calculations too complicated, you get paid the IIDB and PIP whether you receive UC or ESA.

Calculate the likely ESA payment.

Calculate the UC payment and deduct your IIDB.

Compare the two totals.

You need to claim New Style ESA by contacting the ESA Helpline. They will complete; while you are on the phone or send you a copy of an ESA1 form to fill in. Once the DWP has a completed ESA1 form they can decide whether to accept your claim.

If you have an existing UC award then do not close your UC until your ESA claim is accepted.

If you have a UC award then it should be transferred to ESA without reassessment, if you do not then an ESA50 will be sent, you will need to provide Fit Notes before this will happen.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 week 4 days ago #291075 by Gringo2000
Replied by Gringo2000 on topic New Style ESA & Universal Credit - ESA50 or UC50?

Calculate the likely ESA payment. Calculate the UC payment and deduct your IIDB. Compare the two totals.

That is what I've done. I was just showing you that I am on PIP too for transparency.

I'm struggling to see how I would still be better off on ESA and UC together than I would ESA alone because, as you say, yes I will still get IIDB with UC - but they will deduct the equivalent amount from my UC. Giving me £44.30p IIDB in the left hand, but then taking £44.30p UC out of my right hand = £0 in my pocket.

Assuming I'm put into the Support group (or LCRWA for UC), this is what I work out I would receive.

ESA = £138.20p support group rate PLUS £44.30p IIDB - which gives £182.50p per week

ESA WITH UC = £90.50p ESA basic rate PLUS £52.04p UC LCWRA rate PLUS £44.30p IIDB - which gives £186.84p - but then I'd lose £44.30p of that £52.04p UC which takes it back down to £142.54p

If you think I'd be better off with UC and ESA, can you please explain why because I must be missing something that I'm not aware of.

As for applying - I applied for both on 22nd April:

I applied for New Style ESA online - but I have heard nothing from the DWP other than a text message to say "We have received your new style ESA application. We will contact you within 14 days" (its gone past that).

I applied for UC on the same day - and the DWP have sent me a UC50 form to fill in and return - however, if I am going to be worse off on UC, then I don't want to send a UC50 form back - I want an ESA50 form instead.

More
1 week 4 days ago #291076 by Gringo2000
Ahhhh, I think I know why you think I'd be better off now. A different benefit calculator tells me that I would be entitled to the support group rate of ESA (£138.50p) per week AND the LCWRA rate of Universal Credit on top. is that correct?

I was under the impression that you got either Support group rate of ESA or LCWRA rate of UC. I didn't think they awarded both together.

Thanks for your help by the way. The benefits system is so confusing :(

More
1 week 4 days ago #291101 by Gordon
G

The Support Group component is paid for ESA and the LCWRA element is paid for UC, if you claim both benefits then both will include the appropriate addition, remembering that any ESA will be deducted £ for £ for any UC payable.

The UC LCWRA rate is more than the ESA SG one.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gringo2000

More
1 week 4 days ago #291110 by Gringo2000
Thanks Gordon, that ties in with what two of the other benefits calculators said.

It's frustrating how inconsistent supposed benefits calculators are. Two told me one thing - and two confirmed what you said.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.