× Members

FAO Gordon

More
7 years 4 months ago #175839 by annie
Replied by annie on topic FAO Gordon
Hi Gordon,

Is there anything that you think that I should take with me to the GP appt?
Should anything be left with the GP?
Should it just be a verbal conversation?

I'll update you after the GP visit to let you know how it went!

Thanks again,
Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #175858 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic FAO Gordon

Wendy wrote: Hi Gordon,

Is there anything that you think that I should take with me to the GP appt?
Should anything be left with the GP?
Should it just be a verbal conversation?

I'll update you after the GP visit to let you know how it went!

Thanks again,
Wendy

You could take a copy of the PIP Descriptors, I would remove the points value for each one and ask the GP to indicate which ones they think your father meets and to provide a brief explanation of why.

You could leave this with the GP to complete.

As to how to approach the GP, I can't really offer advice, you need to se how the doctor responds to your visiting them. A quick aside, make sure that you take your father, because they won't talk to you about anything if he is not there. The only think I can suggest is for you to take a firm stand on their needing to provide help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 4 months ago #176249 by annie
Hi Gordon,

Sorry for the delay in providing feedback - it's been a very tough few days with my own health. It was hard for me seeing how stressed the 'build up to this appointment' was for my Dad (the appointment was always booked for the two of us to attend). My Dad did say to me ... 'I just don't like asking for help'.

Re GP visit. I explained the situation re PIP (assessment and points awarded etc). I explained that we now need to start the appeal process and requested the GP's help with supporting evidence. The GP asked what would be involved so I read this out (feedback from our correspondence):

You could take a copy of the PIP Descriptors and ask the GP to indicate which ones they think your father meets and to provide a brief explanation of why. You could leave this with the GP to complete. But in the hope that they will provide assistance, they need to provide confirmation of the problems your father has, however, if they have not seen him recently this may be an issue. That said there are certainly areas that they should be able to confirm; you mention the eczema, if the GP has prescribed the creams then they should be able to comment on the necessity of applying the cream and the potential effects of not doing so. They should also be able to, with a short examination be able to comment on your father's shoulder/back problems and whether they can dress their upper and lower body.

When I passed over the PIP descriptors and said 'you would need to indicate which ones they think my father meets and to provide a brief explanation of why' .. the GP commented on how much time it would take for him to do this! He returned them to me at the end of the session.

My Dad's GP has agreed to see my Dad for a physical assessment (to be able to complete your suggestion) and to write a report. He told us it "wouldn't be cheap" but not sure how much it will cost. The GP is aware of the tight timescale. The earliest appointment to see the GP again is Thurs 22/12. The decision letter was dated 25/11 so the MR will have to be in the post that day to guarantee special delivery for 23/12. I had hoped that the timing would be such that I could send the 'supporting evidence' with the MR but this is no longer an option.

If you have any further thoughts or input related to the above then these would be welcomed.

Many thanks,
Wendy

More
7 years 4 months ago #176268 by Gordon
Wendy

You can send the GP's letter separately, but make sure that you state that you will be sending additional info on the MR request.

Make sure you read the letter before you pay for it and don't be afraid to ask for corrections if their are factual errors.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: annie

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #176792 by annie
CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION

This message contains confidential information
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Gordon. Reason: made confidential at user request

More
7 years 4 months ago #176824 by Gordon
Wendy

As a general comment, could you shorten your posts, I have short term memory problems and I am realty struggling to retain the information from the start of your post by the time I get to the end. :(

To try and answer your questions.

As you and your sister are not appointees for your father you cannot act on his behalf in regard these issues, so your father needs to be present for any phone calls that you make on his behalf so that he can authorise the DWP to speak to you. His signature needs to be on any letters that you send the DWP.

We recommend making the MR request in writing but that does not stop you also doing so over the phone. Be aware there is a strike of Post Office workers next week so some Offices will be closed.

Your arguments for Managing Treatment seem to fall into the following;

He is forgetful and does not take his medicine or having taken it forgets that he has an double doses. You don't say whether he scored any points for this activity and it is not clear what points you are trying to score?

You don't seem to have explained why he is forgetful and the assessor comments that they can see no reason why he is.

Although your mother manages his treatment could an alarm and dossette box be used as an alternative, assistance and using an aid both score 1 point and the latter may be easier to argue.

Your second argument appears to be that he cannot apply the creams that he has been prescribed. If he has scored points for being unable to dress his lower body then this should be supportive, assuming that the cream needs to be applied to his lower body.

Dressing the upper body and washing the upper body go hand in hand, have you covered this in both of the relevant activities?

Activities are not required to be carried out pain free, but pain that limits the claimants ability to complete an activity should, so you should consider whether you have used the right words and phrases to describe his problems. Also reaching the areas is not sufficient, he must be able to do something with his hands when they are there, for example can he supply sufficient pressure against his skin to effectively wash? If not then this may indicate he would have similar problems with the cream.

Finally, most people will have "blind spots" where they cannot reach, for washing these can be dealt with by using an aid such as a long handled brush but you should be able to argue that this would not be applicable when applying the cream. There is also the issue of his being able to check that he has applied it to all required areas, a mirror may help but you should be able to argue that there are again "blind spots".

Gorodn

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.