× Members

Awarded pip but confused

More
7 years 1 month ago #185396 by Wadsworth
Awarded pip but confused was created by Wadsworth
Hi
I have not officially had my PIP award yet but have had a new council tax review today with it on. I have contacted them and have been advised that the DWP have notified them!
Originally I was on Low rate care this is now been reviewed to standard care and mobility was enhanced but dropped to standard. I believe my mobility has got worse what is the criteria for the enhanced rate I am going to appeal but would like advise

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #185407 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Awarded pip but confused

Mr Frog wrote: Hi
I have not officially had my PIP award yet but have had a new council tax review today with it on. I have contacted them and have been advised that the DWP have notified them!
Originally I was on Low rate care this is now been reviewed to standard care and mobility was enhanced but dropped to standard. I believe my mobility has got worse what is the criteria for the enhanced rate I am going to appeal but would like advise

I'm afraid it's not unusual for a claimants Local Authority to hear about a PIP Decision before they do as the LA is notified electronically.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process, the PIP area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 1 month ago #185417 by Wadsworth
Replied by Wadsworth on topic Awarded pip but confused
Many Thanks Gordon
I will contact DWP tomorrow and request the report I will follow up with a confirmation letter before the arrival of the initial decision letter How do I find out where to send the confirmation to do I just ask them tomorrow

More
7 years 1 month ago #185422 by Bill24chev
Replied by Bill24chev on topic Awarded pip but confused

Mr Frog wrote: Hi

A similer thing happened to my wife. We found out her PIP Decision when HB was reduced because she had gone from Higher DLA care to Standard PIP daily Living.. It as taken us until this week to get opur HB correct we are entitled to enhanced premium for HB for another reason as well as wife's DLA.

So Mr Frog if you receive HB contact your LA to make sure everything is OK.

bill

More
7 years 1 month ago #185439 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Awarded pip but confused

Mr Frog wrote: Many Thanks Gordon
I will contact DWP tomorrow and request the report I will follow up with a confirmation letter before the arrival of the initial decision letter How do I find out where to send the confirmation to do I just ask them tomorrow

You should send the letter to the address on the last correspondence you had from DWP about your PIP.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wadsworth

More
7 years 1 month ago #185590 by Wadsworth
Replied by Wadsworth on topic Awarded pip but confused
Hi
Could you please advise further we have now received the assessors reply
they have decided the descriptor that applies for mobility is quote

I decided you can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. this is consistent with your description of a typical day, informal observations at your face to face consultation and your musculoskeletal examination.

All the physical examination comprised of was to ask me to pinch with my right hand only
In my pip report I ticked that I could walk less than 20 metres and explained because of my Microvascular angina I cannot walk more than 15 - 20 metres without encountering a crushing pain in my chest from my angina I become breathless have tightening in my throat through to the middle of my back and when this happens I have to stop immediately and take my GTN and have to sit down to recover and always gives me a severe headache and that I seldom go shopping and if I do I use a mobility scooter and that I could not use a wheelchair the physical exertion needed to use it would bring on my angina in fact any form of exertion brings on my angina. I explained I always experience pain when walking and weather conditions hot or cold bring on angina.
For this reason I used a mobile scooter to get to and from the F2F assessment at no point did they see me do any walking.
Could you please advise how to reply to this when requesting the mandatory reconsideration

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.