× Members

ESA Claim Stage IV Bowel Cancer

More
6 years 9 months ago #192770 by Jane
ESA Claim Stage IV Bowel Cancer was created by Jane
Hi I was diagnosed with Stage iv bowel cancer resulting in emergency removal of tumour beginning of April 2017, currently having chemo, followed by more surgery for removal of liver tumour, then more chemo and then possible another surgery for colostomy reversal.. I submitted my claim on 26th April 17 and I am in a Universal Credit area and have an online account. I have received the standard UC amount and the child element for one child, backdated to 27th March 2017, which is currently around £600/month which goes nowhere near my outgoings (single parent and I as
also get child maintenance.. I was signed off work with fit note from 31st Jan 17 when forced to give up work due to ill health prior to diagnosis. I have completed the ESA questionnaire and know it has been received but I have heard nothing from them regarding my claim, regardless of phone calls and through the UC online journal but told I have to just wait from company who do the assessment. I am getting into further debt and spiralling into depression due to my diagnosis and financial worries. I am confused as whether I have to wait 13 weeks before they look at my claim and due to my condition and chemo do I need to have an work capability assessment ? any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #192781 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Claim Stage IV Bowel Cancer
Jane

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Did you get your GP to complete the section on the UC50 that covers cancer treatment?

Based on what you have posted I would have expected you to have automatic qualification.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #192929 by Jane
Replied by Jane on topic ESA Claim Stage IV Bowel Cancer
Hi Gordon Thanks for the reply. I didnt get my doctor to complete it but if i remember correctly I put the contact details of GP and Oncologist and medical report/fit notes etc. I seem to have hit a brick wall trying to speak tp someone through Universal Credit and been given conflicting information.. Should I be paid an assessment rate whilst my claim is being considered. At the moment I am only receiving the Universal Credit amount of £317 and £277 for the child element. I have been advised that if you are having chemotherapy you shouldnt have to have a WCI but been told I have to. Thanks.

More
6 years 9 months ago #192942 by Gordon
JAne

I'm afraid it doesn't work this way, they may not contact your GP at all, but even if they do it may not be for months, you really should have given this to your GP!

You need to contact the DWP office dealing with your claim and explain what has happened to find the quickest and easiest way to remedy the situation.

As far as I am aware there is no Assessment Rate with UC as your are already receiving UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #192996 by Jane
Replied by Jane on topic ESA Claim Stage IV Bowel Cancer
Thanks Gordon, I was very unwell when i completed the form and tbh havnt any recollection what I put. I will contact them again tomorrow. I realise in hindsight I should have got someone to help me complete my application. I am still confused as I thought the Universal Credit comprised of different elements. The two elements I get are the standard Universal Credit payment and the child element, total £526. I thought that Universal Credit would also pay the equivalent of the ESA element as well. I was told by my Work Coach that I would probably be put straight into support group as having chemotherapy. Have I got the got this wrong? Thanks

Jane

More
6 years 9 months ago #193039 by Gordon

Jane wrote: I was told by my Work Coach that I would probably be put straight into support group as having chemotherapy. Have I got the got this wrong? Thanks

Jane

This is correct. IF you had got your GP to complete the section on cancer treatment, at the moment you are being assessed as a standard ESA claimant.

This is why you it is important that you contact them about the error with the form.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.