× Members

ESA Claim Stage IV Bowel Cancer

More
6 years 9 months ago #193065 by Jane
Replied by Jane on topic ESA Claim Stage IV Bowel Cancer
Hi Spoke to Macmillan Benefits Advisor and they confirmed that with chemotherapy treatment I should be placed in support group without WCA and that I should get an assessment rate of £73.10/week until assessment complete.. I then spoke to Universal Credit helpline advisor asking to speak to someone regarding my UC/new style esa claim as I hadnt got Dr to complete section but was told I couldnt and that having having chemotherapy didnt apply to the new style esa/limited capability support group anyway, only if I was terminally ill. I was also told that I am not entitled to the standard assessment rate until I had my WCA and if put into support group it would be backdated. Also said they couldnt give a timescale and it had been known to take up to a year. Having Stage IV cancer I cant really be waiting this long for a payment and my debt is accruing. Can you offer any suggestions and confirm whether I should be receiving an assessment rate whilst claim is being considered. Thank you. Jane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #193078 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Claim Stage IV Bowel Cancer
Jane

Let's start with the DWP, basically what you have been told is rubbish, you need to contact them again and if they tell you the same then ask to speak to a manager, this normally requires a call back.

As to the Assessment Rare, are you claiming what in old ESA terms was ESA(CB) or ESA(IR)?

If the former then there should be an Assessment rate payment but this will be deducted from your UC so there is not net increase, if you are claiming the latter then your UC in effect already incorporates the Assessment rate and you will not receive anything extra.

As you are having so many problems with the DWP about this, I recommend that you download a copy of the ESA50 and fill in the relevant sections and then give it yo your GP to complete the cancer treatment section.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/capab...r-work-questionnaire

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193094 by Jane
Thanks Gordon for explaining. I understand now. I will follow your advice and fill in a form and get my doctor to complete. Should it be the UC50 or ESA50> Thanks

More
6 years 9 months ago #193240 by Jane
Contacted Universal Credit helpline and first advisor when I spoke to them about my query and asked them their name they put the phone down after me hanging on phone for 22 minutes, called again to be told by the new advisor that he couldnt help me as he hadnt been trained in the New style esa/incapability to work rules so I asked if anybody else in the call centre could help e,g, a manager and was told that nobody had been trained. Really!!!!I I requested a UC50 which has been referred to my case manager, who since I have put in clam hasnt once contacted me via my online journal or phone so not holding out much hope. Feel I am banging my head against a brick wall.. My question is if and when I get accepted into the support group will I get both the standard Univeral Credit and the New style esa benefit or will the esa component get deducted and left with the difference. I checked on the Universal Credit calculator and it showed that I would. Could you confirm this please; Many thanks. Sorry for the rant about helpline but it is so frustrating as I have so little energy with the chemotherapy that trying to deal with this is a nightmare,

More
6 years 9 months ago #193251 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Claim Stage IV Bowel Cancer
JAne

No problem :)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.