× Members

ESA

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287433 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic ESA
Hi Jessica,

If you follow the guidance from the website I've listed below for you, they will help you with what you're entitled too:

benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287442 by Tigerlily11
Replied by Tigerlily11 on topic ESA
Thank you Chris, I really appreciate it.
I used the turn2us calculator but it doesn’t mention Carer’s Allowance or Carer’s Premium.
If I tick the box to say I’m a Carer for my partner and my partner is a Carer for me it talks about Carer’s Allowance. Do you think DWP would automatically add this if it was not applied for?
Thanks again Chris
Jess

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287443 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA
Hi Tigerlily11

The answer to your question is no, DWP does have access to your claims so would know if you had claimed CA or not.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287457 by Tigerlily11
So would I have had to apply for Carer’s Allowance for the Carer’s Premium to be added Gary?
Are you saying the DWP just would not add it on if we had an “Underlying Entitlement” to it? Sorry for not getting my head around this.

Thanks so much

Jessica

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287459 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA
T

To have an underlying entitlement you would still have had to apply for Carers Allowance.

No, the DWP would not just add this. Also one of you would need to actually be in receipt of the Carers Allowance

Has there been any change to your circumstances? Has you or your partner just received a PIP Daily Living award? If you have then you might be entitled to the couple's rate of the Severe Disability Premium which appears as "money because you are severely disabled" on the Entitlement Letters.

Any payment of Carers Allowance should appear in your bank statement as "CA" then your National Insurance Number or your partners.

I really recommend that you contact the DWP or at the least speak to a trained advisor who can look at the documents you have.

Gordon

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287471 by Tigerlily11
Thank you so much for your reply Gordon. That has made things so much clearer.

The only thing I can think of is that a few years back after my husband had a lot of medical issues we had a very helpful Welfare Rights Advisor who was sorting out what we needed to do and what would be financially better for our situation. He was filling in forms and was really helpful. He had spoke about Carer’s Allowance and Carer’s Premium and that we should apply for it. I said ok but I remember talking to people on B&W who discussed their own situations and after hearing these stories decided not to apply. I was afraid it would rock the boat with our PIP and ESA if we were getting Carer’s Premiums. I looked through old letters I have and found a Carer’s Allowance letter saying your Carer’s Allowance had been cancelled. I don’t remember getting one saying we had applied for it but it’s starting to make sense now. I have to take so much medication I don’t remember yesterday never mind a couple of years ago. Even if our Welfare Rights Advisor cancelled it I think it has been back dated from when it was probably applied for. Does this make sense Gordon?
I will try and get an appointment with the WR advisor and contact DWP afterwards.

I just want to say a big thank you to everyone for your help and advice. We have been really worried about this and will get it sorted this week. Obviously it is nice to have a bit of extra money but this is one time I really would rather not have it and want to get it back if it’s a mistake as soon as possible.

Jess

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.