× Members

Preparing and cooking meal question againIn the new Severe Disability Criteria (

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288415 by Anneb
In the new Severe Disability Criteria (today’s newsletter) it says to meet the criteria a person must have "a severe impairment of physical or mental function (or likely to develop this within 6 months) such that they need assistance from another person to complete two or more activities of daily living” in the PIP form.

I am my son’s Appointee, and preparing for the next PIP form (current PIP he gets enhanced daily living). In the previous PIP form I had stated in detail all the assistance my son would need to prepare and cook a simple meal but added "prompting, encouragement and support do not help so, in fact, he can never prepare or cook a simple meal - someone else has to cook a meal for him always” - he was only awarded 4 points for that activity. So in the next PIP form I am planning to state that my son cannot cook a simple meal due to his autistic difficulties, due to his obsessions about cleanliness and routines (he can only reheat ready made meals in oven or microwave) so I thought not to say he needs assistance from another person because it would make no difference someone else being there to give assistance, so how do I explain he needs assistance to do things re preparing and cooking a simple meal when he cannot do those things even with assistance ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288420 by Gordon
A

All I can say at this time is that you should base your son's testimony about his limitations on the criteria in force at the time, not some planned change that may never come to fruition.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Dog Mother

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288430 by Anneb
Hi Gordon - I'm not basing the preparing and cooking a meal question solely on the new Severe Disability Criteria, my question is the same even if that Severe Disability Criteria doesn't come in. I probably didn't explain things properly. My question is for the next PIP that I'll do which will probably be later this year or next year.

It's how do I explain my son needs assistance to do things re preparing and cooking a simple meal when he cannot do those things even with assistance...so for example, he cannot cut things up that are hard due to being dyspraxic so in theory someone has to do that but he wouldn't accept someone doing that due to that person making knives, board etc dirty as he is obsessional about cleanliness due to his autism. That's just one example.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288437 by BIS
Hi Anneb

Forget the Severe Disability Criteria for the moment.

When applying for your son, you tick 1f - cannot prepare and cook food, and that is because of his autism and the associated symptoms (obsessions and phobias) and co-morbidities such as being dyspraxic. You describe how he has food. (microwave meals or meals prepared by someone else). End of story. Don't start talking about him being assisted - 1f is not talking about that, and you risk any assessor who does not understand autism and the associated symptoms misinterpreting what you are saying. (That's my view)

If you were asked about it at an assessment - you reiterate that it's not possible for him to prepare a meal because of his life-long condition. Do not use the words 'in theory' he needs assistance because the "reality" is that he cannot do it with or without assistance - it's not a grey area for your son and you don't want to make it into one.

BIS

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elaine

More
1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #288445 by Gordon
A

The criteria for 1f is not the same as the others, "simple meal" is replaced with "food", this is a much higher standard that needs to be met.

I would liken it to the difference between cooking a meal and making toast, I stress that this is not a legal interpretation.

Now, if you think your son is limited to this extent and I am in no way suggesting that he is not, then go for it but if not, then you might be best served strengthening his need for assistance and supervision.

Gordon

Last edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by Gordon.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288473 by Anneb
Thanks BIS and Gordon - I am certainly confused and very stressed by this section of the PIP form.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.