× Members

Confused by "tell us" leaflet

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288788 by Hazel
Confused by "tell us" leaflet was created by Hazel
I received a letter saying benefits would increase in April, and in with it was a leaflet saying - things you need to tell us. I read the leaflet and it seems to be saying I have to tell them absolutely everything as regards any changes - to do with both me and my partner, and if I inherit money or have more than £6,000 of savings. I receive Contributions based ESA and I thought that wasn't means tested. So have they sent me the wrong leaflet, or has CB ESA changed recently?

I will reach state pension age soon so do I need to inform them of that (ie when I get my pension) or will they automatically know that and just stop paying the ESA?

I have had tremendous help from this site in the past, but haven't been on for a while.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288792 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Confused by "tell us" leaflet
H

Providing you are only receiving Contribution ESA and do not have a top-up of Income Related ESA due to the payment of a Premium such as the Disability Income Guarantee then you do not need to notify the DWP of anything other than pension income that you receive.

They will know about you reaching State Retirement Age and will stop it accordingly.

Have you applied for your pension as payment is not automatic?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hazel

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288797 by freefee
Replied by freefee on topic Confused by "tell us" leaflet
hi, i also had this leaflet, i get esa and pip the letter says your income related amount is £z less £x (half of pension above £85) so you would have been entitled to £x
however because you are entitled to contribution based esa we will pay you £same amount
the amounts on this page apply from 12 april to 28 november 2024, it mentions income related but says i get contribution based, so does the same apply to me?
many thanks
it also says at the top your living expenses £90.50
limited capability for work addition
extra money because you are in the support group £47.70
which gives a total income related amount £138.20, this is above the first figures i gave you, i just assumed they give you the income related amount and say your not getting that because you are in the contribution based support group at the bottom, if you can explain this to me i would be grateful,
thanks again

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288799 by freefee
Replied by freefee on topic Confused by "tell us" leaflet
my pip was moved from standard to enhanced on both in 2022 i have told them of lump sums in the past and been told it didn't matter as i was getting contribution based esa, i don't claim for anyone else, and the uprating letters in the past have always given the ir rate but said i get cb esa due to national insurance payments, bit worried about this, hopefully you can put my mind at rest

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288804 by Gordon
f

We do ask members not to post their questions, even if on the same subject, in someone else's topic as it can lead to confusion over the advice being given.

Legacy ESA is a single benefit with two payment options; one is based on the claimant's Contribution history and the other is based on their household circumstances.

Claimants can receive;

- Contribution Based ESA only because their personal circumstances prevent the payment of any additional monies.

- Income Related ESA because they did not meet the Contribution Conditions at the time they made their claim

- A combination of the two

The calculation of your money starts with how much ESA(IR) you might receive, any income and/or other deductions are deducted from the ESA(IR).

Then, if applicable, the ESA(CB) amount is calculated.

If the resulting ESA(IR) amount is greater than the calculated ESA(CB) then you receive this ESA(IR) amount and are responsible for notifying the DWP about your income, savings and assets.

If the resulting amount is less than the calculated ESA(CB) amount then you receive no ESA(IR) just the full ESA(CB). You only need to report pension income.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288805 by Gordon

my pip was moved from standard to enhanced on both in 2022 i have told them of lump sums in the past and been told it didn't matter as i was getting contribution based esa, i don't claim for anyone else, and the uprating letters in the past have always given the ir rate but said i get cb esa due to national insurance payments, bit worried about this, hopefully you can put my mind at rest

If you are only receiving ESA(CB) which your post suggests then your savings are not considered and you do not need to inform them of lump sums resulting from the back payment of benefits.

If the lump sums are from a pension and they occur regularly then they may be treated as pension income which needs to be reported, one-off pension payments do not.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: freefee

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.