× Members

Confused by "tell us" leaflet

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288838 by Hazel
Replied by Hazel on topic Confused by "tell us" leaflet
Thank you Gordon. Yes I have applied for the Pension :-) Ok so the letter I got has a heading "Your Claim for Employment and Support Allowance". Which I thought was a bit unusual because it's not a new claim, I've been on it for a while and in the support group. Usually letters just say something like "Changes to your Employment and Support Allowance".

It then goes on to talk about the chances in social security benefits rates from 8 April. And says the attached sheet shows how we work out your money.

On the attached sheet it seems the standard thing for Contributions Based ESA. It says it's based on my National Insurance Contribution Records and any additional amount the law says you need to live on.

Living expenses £90.50
Limited capability for work addition £47.70

Which gives a total income related amount £138.20

It sounds confusing generally as it says it's contribution based but then says it's an "income related" amount.

It then says no income will be taken off your ESA

Your income related amount is £138.20 less £0 so you would have been entitled to £138.20

However, because yiu are entitled to contribution-based ESA we will pay yiu £138.20

Clear as mud eh?! It mentions both contribution based and income related. In the letter it also says you need to inform us of anything as per the enclosed leaflet.

Well the enclosed leaflet seems to relate to non contribution based ESA or other benefits.

So I am wondering if they have somehow migrated the contribution based benefit into some hybrid benefit or something?

Or just put the wrong leaflet in with the letter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288845 by Hazel
It seems this type of letter is quite common and confusing to many - as per this link which is the identical situation to mine (except from a few years ago and different amounts). I have not had a letter like this before though - previously mine have been quite straightforward. I take it I can assume I am still in the support group and still getting contribution based benefits, from that last line. No I don't have any other benefits. However, my partner has recently submitted an application for child benefit (long story) and I'm wondering if that affects it. That's why I was worried by the leaflet as it said report any change of circumstances for you, your partner or anyone else who lives with you.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/...rstanding-esa-letter

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288852 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Confused by "tell us" leaflet
Hi Hazel

From your post, the letter you have received is just a standard letter informing you of the increase in CB ESA and that you do not have any IR ESA. We would advise you to get the letter checked out at your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk .

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288853 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Confused by "tell us" leaflet
Hi Hazel

Child benefit will not affect CB ESA, if you are worried or concerned about the letter, take it to your local Welfare Rights Organisation.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288871 by Hazel
Thank you. Would that be Citizens Advice Bureau?

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288903 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Confused by "tell us" leaflet
Hi Hazel

Yes the CAB is a welfare rights organisation.

BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.