× Members

Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA

More
13 years 8 months ago #26045 by denise
Replied by denise on topic Re:Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
i do not agree with what you have said that people with chonic schizphrenia can function normaly within society they have undue side affectsand some like my son who has it goes through hell with the meds that he,s on and he also has diabetis and once a month he has to go the hospital to have his bloods ckecked to see if his white cells have changed and by the way diabetis is one of the side effects from the medication he is taking.and depos are not done at the docter,s they have to done by a spn nurse thats law.so do you still think they fuction normaaly in society? i wish they could

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Catherine
13 years 8 months ago #26047 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Re:Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
Has my post on this topic been deleted? If so why when someone elses has been posted since?

• mairit
  • Topic Author
13 years 7 months ago #26437 by mairit
Replied by mairit on topic Re: Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately or fortunately, he was a 17 year old conscript in Italy and was chosen to be part of the UN team/squadron in Mogadiscu. So The British Legion will not be able to help even the Italian Army cannot do so because they were not informed of his illness (My son refused to allow me to inform them (ashamed)). So, I close once again thanking you

• mairit
  • Topic Author
13 years 7 months ago #26438 by mairit
Replied by mairit on topic Re:Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
To All You Lovely People who took the time to reply, thank you, thank you thank you.

• Survivor
13 years 7 months ago #26453 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
denise wrote:

i do not agree with what you have said that people with chonic schizphrenia can function normaly within society they have undue side affectsand some like my son who has it goes through hell with the meds that he,s on and he also has diabetis and once a month he has to go the hospital to have his bloods ckecked to see if his white cells have changed and by the way diabetis is one of the side effects from the medication he is taking.and depos are not done at the docter,s they have to done by a spn nurse thats law.so do you still think they fuction normaaly in society? i wish they could

Approximately a third of people with schizophrenia recover completely after one episode, approximately a third have further episodic problems with reasonably good health in between and approximately a third have deteriorating mental health.

• martha
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #26454 by martha
Replied by martha on topic Re:Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
hi denise, i did reply to your post prior to the close down of the forum but it was deleted. i am sorry re your son, schizophrenia is a terrible illness and i was not trying to belittle it in any way. of course there are many sufferers like your son.

the point i was making is that there are also many people who have this illness that are maintained on medication, yes by their gp surgery, they have given depots for many years due to the fact there are not enough cpns to carry the amount of cases.

And many people with SMI do work when well. they do not reqire a cpn. Many cant and never will. only severe mental illness cases or acute will be assigned a care coordinator these days. they will discharge back to the gp as soon as the person can cope. This will be the worry, it appears it is not the diagnosis that counts but the level of support. It appears your son will need support due to the medication he is taking , ie regular blood tests. in mairits case he has a social worker, all indications that both cases are considered to be SMI.

This issue and the fear it has provoked has raised concerns at my hospital (where i work)and in the community teams, it has always been harder to get DLA/benefit for people who have mental illness than other disabilities, what will the consequences of this action be? hard to nearly impossible? And yes many health professionals are just waiting for the outcome,it is not lack of understanding but lack of power!

(Edited to insert paragraphs - no change to wording. Survivor)
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by Survivor.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.