× Members

Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA

• Survivor
13 years 8 months ago #25976 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
choogle wrote:

Was reading something yesterday that stated that 33% of the people on IB are there because of mental health or behavioural problems.

However, if that 33% were to be exempted then the oft-mooted stats we've been seeing bandied about in the media of late would need to be significantly revised.

So far as I am aware, there's no suggestion that all people with MI would be exempt the WCA, only those with severe mental illness that are exempt the PCA for IB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #25979 by carole
Replied by carole on topic Re:Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
I tend to say if meeting someone new and the subject what do you do crops up,say I'm in mental health!! :lol: true in the fact i have had a long career alot of years in the field of mental health and since being of "sick" i have done voluntary work and service user consultancy in mental health. Last week was talking with someone at the bus stop and i said i was just between jobs just didn't mention it was 8 years, always a difficult one. thing to remember (and i don't always) is never be ashamed of who you are.
Carole :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Survivor
13 years 8 months ago #25981 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
choogle wrote:

Was reading something yesterday that stated that 33% of the people on IB are there because of mental health or behavioural problems.

However, if that 33% were to be exempted then the oft-mooted stats we've been seeing bandied about in the media of late would need to be significantly revised.

The exemption in question relates to severe mental illness, not to all mental illness. For details of the existing exemption for IB as opposed to the proposed one for ESA, see p6 of the guide to claims for IB on mental health grounds. (Link via home page.)

More
13 years 8 months ago #26001 by choogle
Replied by choogle on topic Re:Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
So far as I am aware, there's no suggestion that all people with MI would be exempt the WCA, only those with severe mental illness that are exempt the PCA for IB.

I'm not aware of reading anything in recent months that even hints that those exempt from the PCA on severe mental health grounds may also be exempted from the WCA.

This is one of the things that has been bothering me, and also relates to the initial post in this thread. If you are aware of any particular statement by DWP or government ministers on this matter it would be good if you could provide a link? I think there's a lot of people who are wanting clarity on this issue. What is classed as severe mental health nowadays?

• martha
13 years 8 months ago #26004 by martha
Replied by martha on topic Re:Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
I have worked in mental health for 20 years now, severe mental illness used to be depression, bi polar, schizophrenia, anxiety, etc even the worried well could get help. Now it leans very much to schizophrenia, manic depression , severe depression (cannot be mild or moderate)or personality disorder. There is little scope inside an acute hospital environment to deal with any other type of mental illness. All other psychiatric illness is treated through the GP and other community based services. I imagine the DWP will follow this.

• martha
13 years 8 months ago #26014 by martha
Replied by martha on topic Re:Paranoid Schizophrenia and ESA
mairit wrote:
His social worker says not to worry (lol) his background is well documented...............[/quote]
Im not sure (anymore) that this reassurance will hold in todays climate. (I would check out his section 117 discharge from hospital and having an appointed social worker or cpn is a positive in this case) If the person has been 'well' on medication in the community (mentally only i cant comment on his physical needs)and more often, medication even depot injections are done at the GP surgery then he may be deemed well enough for work. He would have to relapse and have admission to be classed as acute. Many people with cronic schizophrenia can function 'normally' within society and it appears that individuality and cronic illness is no longer a consideration by this gvment.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.