× Members

Almost 9 million claimant bank accounts to be put under continuous surveillance

More
5 months 10 hours ago #286131 by PatGPT
I think is a bit misleading.

I agree that the limit is £6k required to inform the DWP whenver your capital goes above £5.5k

It's also worth noting that the capital isn't the amount in your bank account but your capital minus your income.

Your income is calculated based on the period it's paid.

So you can have more than £5.5k in your bank account and not have to inform the DWP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 10 hours ago #286133 by PatGPT
As an aside, I'm totally against the DWP snooping on claimants.

I think though when it comes to capital it would be much better if everything was done automatically. Honestly, it would help take the stress out of claiming.

It's quite frankly a farce how claimants have to constantly write into the DWP, print out statements etc everytime their capital increases or decreases by £250.

When this happens it can take months before the DWP adjusts a claim. It should be instant or much faster in my opinion.

It's also ludicrus how if a claimant doesn't do so, they are potentially breaking the law. But ultimately, the wholte idea of tariff income (especially at the effective rates of interest they are set) is an absolute joke.

It also makes a conitribution based system look more appealing. With means testing, claiming benefits becomes a penny pinching degrading exercise, with a lot less dignity afforded to the claimants, who are basically punished for being poor. And literally given a disincentive to get themselves out of poverty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pollenpath, denby, Chris

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #286154 by smalltrace
Being agoraphobic and great anxiety regarding checking my bank etc (i actually have to drug myself before i can dare check) i havent told dwp in ages that my money is lower than they believe. Its just such a nightmare as i have to drug myself to put it all together, then ring them last time took over an hour to be answered. Then arrange for someone to take the stuff to the job centre. Would be lovely if they checked themselves and increased as necessary lol course it will only work in the reverse.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #286452 by Chocolady
Sorry to answer belatedly ive only just come back on forum no it is a group called Organise. They’ve also had a lot of people write to their mps. Even if your mp is useless, as frankly most are, they still need to know the strength of feeling behind this so it wouldnt hurt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #287736 by tickingclock
My disabled daughter has a bank account where her ESA and PIP go but as she has learning difficulties I transfer all that money every month into my Bank account as I have power of attorney . Would the DWP look into my bank account as well if they see her money being transferred regularly and would they take my own money into consideration as well?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287746 by BIS
Hi tickingclock

No one knows exactly how this is going to work - so it's impossible to give you a definitive answer. If the DWP was to query where your daughter's money is going - you would have to provide evidence.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: tickingclock

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.