× Members

PIP Claim

More
6 years 10 months ago #190607 by lolbol
Replied by lolbol on topic PIP Claim
Hi,

I now have another question! D-day has arrived, hubby's assessment this afternoon.
We spent yesterday evening at A&E as my husband has now also been confirmed as habe a severe attack of gout, in his knee. Now this is something he usually gets in his toe. But unfortunately I failed to put this on his form. He now has crutches, from A&E and has been told that he will have to take gout preventing drugs from now on. He was given a discharge summary from the hospital, should I take this to the assessment with us and ask for this to to read along with anything else?

Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #190624 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Claim
Lauren

Take a copy of the discharge summary to the assessment and ask the assessor to take note of it and include it in his file when it is returned to the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #190664 by lolbol
Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know how it went today for my husband. We arrived at the venue, 10 minutes early, and was kept waiting. Then a young girl came into the unmanned reception and asked who we were, for which I answered. She said she would be back shortly, which she was to then tell us that my husbands appointment would have to be cancelled! I asked why and was told that she didn't have a room, they was all taken! At this point I realised that she hadn't introduced herself, so I asked her who she was. She told us that she was the assessor and she would be assessing my husband. I told her that I had booked a day off of work and would not really be willing to go through all the heartache again, to get my husband back there. She said the only room she could get was upstairs. I consulted with my husband and he agreed to climb the stairs (extremely slowly) where she then carried out a 20 minute, max, assessment. She actually turned out to be very nice and was very sympathetic, with regards to my husband. He sat and cried the whole way through the assessment, along with panic attacks and was extremely anxious. I do believe that she genuinely had empathy, but I also uderstand that these people cannot be trusted. So now we just have to sit tight and wait for the dreaded brown envelope to arrive.

Am I correct in thinking that he won't hear for at least 4 weeks? And as he has also filled in to be rreassessed for ESA will they use this f2f for PIP to help with a decision for ESA?

I will obviously keep you posted with any updates

More
6 years 10 months ago #190668 by Gordon
Lauren

PIP Decisions are taking 2-4 weeks across most of the country.

They may use the PIP report but there is no guarantee that this will happen, if you think that the report is supportive of his ESA claim, given the different criteria then, you should consider sending a copy to those assessing his ESA with an explanation of why you think it is relevant.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #190682 by lolbol
Thanks for your reply Gordon.

I may be being a little bit daft but are PIP and ESA really that different?

Many Thanks

More
6 years 10 months ago #190720 by Gordon

Lauren wrote: Thanks for your reply Gordon.

I may be being a little bit daft but are PIP and ESA really that different?

Many Thanks

Yes they really are.

6 out of the 10 PIP Daily Living activities have no equivalent ESA activity and 9 of the ESA activities are unique. Even where the activities are similar the assessment criteria are different, for example someone could receive an Enhanced award of Mobility due to their walking and yet not score any points for the same under ESA.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: lolbol

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.