× Members

No award for osteoarthritis

More
5 years 11 months ago #219756 by Debs
No award for osteoarthritis was created by Debs
I’m 51 have been diagnosed with hip dysphasia along with osteoarthritis. I am currently on a waiting list for hip replacement. It has now spread to my lower back and I am in constant pain. I applied for pip and just been awarded NO points for both Daily Living and Mobility!! In process of requesting Mandatory Reconsideration along with copy of capita report. Anybody had success of getting pip for hip osteoarthritis? I also suffer from depression and anxiety

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #219768 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic No award for osteoarthritis
Debs

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process, the PIP area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 11 months ago #219794 by newcastle1949
Replied by newcastle1949 on topic No award for osteoarthritis
Hi Debs

My husband was awarded Enhanced DL and Mobility a year ago, he has severe Osteoarthritis in both hips and right knee, and also suffer's with depression and anxiety, i posted re his journey on the B and W forum, but i am not sure how to direct you to my post's!, we sent off alot of evidence including the report from the radiologist confirming the diagnosis of osteoarthritis, (we got a copy of it from our GP) we also detailed how severely compromised his mobility/ability is to carry out normal day to day things is the level of pain he is in and the limited movement he has because of it, for example he cannot bend to put his socks on, struggles to get in and out of the bath/shower/off the toilet, rising from a chair without help, he cannot walk far, Poor balance etc etc, and as Gordon often says often emphasise you cannot do this safely, reliably, repeatedly and to an accceptable standar (i think these are the words) also because of sustained depression and anxiety they did a paper based review, he had his left hip replaced in April and is now waiting for the right knee replacement op then the right hip, we also got a copy of the report so that might help your MR in explaining the affects the arthritis/depression and anxiety have on your day to day life. Gordon was a tremendous support to us, follow his advice.

Good luck
Best Wishes
Sweetheart

SWEETHEART

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid