× Members

Contributions based ESA and being forced to work?

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #285961 by Debbie
Does anyone know if the government’s plans to force the disabled and mentally ill to work especially to work from home (even if they have previously been deemed unfit to work) apply to those on contributions based ESA as well as income related ESA?

I am on income related ESA but may be being moved to contributions based ESA

The only small consolation is that I believe the forthcoming monitoring of bank accounts of claimants may only apply to those on means tested benefits. Is that correct?

If in addition I would not be forced into work under the strict Back to Work Plan because I am not on a means tested benefit this would soften the blow of losing a few hundred pounds a month by moving from income related ESA to contributions based ESA

Sorry to ask a few things at once but I am finding it all a bit stressful as I may be moving into a flat my Mum owns hence maybe meaning my own flat is then seen as capital plus all the talk of being forced into home work I know would put me back into hospital is stressing me out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #286026 by Gary
Hi Debbie

We do not yet know how things will work out, a lot of speculation in the press, we will just have to wait and see how it pans out.

I cannot see how you can move from IR ESA to CB ESA unless you are already in receipt of CB ESA with a top up of IR ESA.

A previous member has asked the question, how will banks know only to monitor bank accounts customers who are on a means tested benefit? I have absolutely no idea, again no information has been given out as to how the plan will work, but it does sound tough. 🏋️‍♀️

I believe an election is coming up.🤫

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #286038 by Chocolady
Sadly only 51 mps voted against these plans so I dont hold out much hope that if labour get in things will be any better. A group called Organise who work for workers rights have started a petition and currently have 54000 signatures which they need to get up to a 100,000. They also ask you write to your mp. The only way the govt will stop is if people make it known they wont put up with it. If you feel able write to your mp, give organise a small donation to distribute the petition and sign it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Debbie

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286180 by Debbie
Thank you for your reply.
I guess that is tough to know how banks would work it in practice
I hope there is an election soon!!
Debbie

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid