× Members

ESA and Elective Surgery

• maibai
  • Topic Author
14 years 3 months ago #21065 by maibai
ESA and Elective Surgery was created by maibai
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a medical condition which has resulted in the deterioration of my health. I undertook what is deemed as elective surgery - to try to improve my condition. I've really felt to improve my quality of life, there was no other option. However, my condition has not improved despite this serious effort to try to correct it.

Can the DWP force you to undertake further procedures, or specify types of treatment one should undertake to aid them in becoming "fit for work"?

The recommendation by doctors is for further surgery, but there isn't any guarantee it will work. Must I submit to further surgery for the sake of keeping benefit when I no longer feel confortable undertaking additional procedures? Can they stop ESA for not undergoing surgery? A decision has not been returned regarding an ESA award (still in the assessment phase 10 months later. I've had my medical but have been told I still have to provide sick notes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #21070 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:ESA and Elective Surgery
maibai wrote:

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a medical condition which has resulted in the deterioration of my health. I undertook what is deemed as elective surgery - to try to improve my condition. I've really felt to improve my quality of life, there was no other option. However, my condition has not improved despite this serious effort to try to correct it.

Can the DWP force you to undertake further procedures, or specify types of treatment one should undertake to aid them in becoming "fit for work"?

The recommendation by doctors is for further surgery, but there isn't any guarantee it will work. Must I submit to further surgery for the sake of keeping benefit when I no longer feel confortable undertaking additional procedures? Can they stop ESA for not undergoing surgery? A decision has not been returned regarding an ESA award (still in the assessment phase 10 months later. I've had my medical but have been told I still have to provide sick notes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The DWP cannot legally compel you to undertake (further) invasive surgery against your wishes, and therefore cannot stop your ESA without good reason, if you refuse to submit to any additional treatment.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid