× Members

advise - hospital addmittance

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #26617 by pug
advise - hospital addmittance was created by pug
hi all

what happens to your benefits ib and dla if you are addmitted to hospital.

my brother-in-law suffered a major stroke a month ago and has been in hospital since, he has been on ib and dla for a while.

he is paralized on the left hand side of his body has difficulty talking and is in a lot of pain.

will his benefits be cut this a great worry as we all know it is very expensive being in hospital.

his wife has to make a journey of 36 miles to visit him and is concerned that if his benefit is cut she will not be able to afford the cost.

can anyone point to where i can get some information on this.

thanks pug

Mod Edit - as more of a question than discussion topic, posting moved to Benefits Questions forum.

pete17971
moderating team
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by pete17971. Reason: posting moved forum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #26618 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:advise - hospital addmittance
pug wrote:

hi all

what happens to your benefits ib and dla if you are addmitted to hospital.

my brother-in-law suffered a major stroke a month ago and has been in hospital since, he has been on ib and dla for a while.

he is paralized on the left hand side of his body has difficulty talking and is in a lot of pain.

will his benefits be cut this a great worry as we all know it is very expensive being in hospital.

his wife has to make a journey of 36 miles to visit him and is concerned that if his benefit is cut she will not be able to afford the cost.

can anyone point to where i can get some information on this.

thanks pug

Hi Pug,

The following Direct Gov webpage explains the effect on most disability benefits upon going into hospital:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Heal...Hospitals/DG_4000474

In practice, if one receives the High Rate DLA Mobility Component (or War Pensioners Mobility Supplement) and it is being used to fund a car/wheelchair through the Motability Scheme then payments are generally continued during the stay in hospital.

Pete
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by pete17971. Reason: add further info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid